Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Unemployed told: do 4 weeks of unpaid work or lose your benefits

Thanks

Unemployed told: do 4 weeks of unpaid work or lose your benefits

The unemployed will be ordered to do periods of compulsory full-time work in the community or be stripped of their benefits under controversial American-style plans to slash the number of people without jobs.
    The proposals, in a white paper on welfare reform to be unveiled this week, are part of a radical government agenda aimed at cutting the 190bn-a-year welfare bill and breaking what the coalition now calls the "habit of worklessness".
    The measures will be announced to parliament by the work and pensions secretary, Iain Duncan Smith, as part of what he will describe as a new "contract" with the 1.4 million people on jobseekers' allowance. The government's side of the bargain will be the promise of a new "universal credit", to replace all existing benefits, that will ensure it always pays to work rather than stay on welfare.
    In return, where advisers believe a jobseeker would benefit from experiencing the "habits and routines" of working life, an unemployed person will be told to take up "mandatory work activity" of at least 30 hours a week for a four-week period. If they refuse or fail to complete the programme their jobseeker's allowance payments, currently 50.95 a week for those under 25 and 64.30 for those over 25, could be stopped for at least three months.

Unemployed told: do four weeks of unpaid work or lose your benefits | Politics | The Observer

The British population at large has been suggesting this for years; what has taken politicians so long?

Thanks

Re: Unemployed told: do 4 weeks of unpaid work or lose your benefits

I reckon this is a cynical ploy by the conservatives to get workers on the cheap. Councils are going to be losing hundreds of thousands of permanent positions and replacing them with cheap workers from the dole queue. The government will be paying these folk less than the minimum wage, which is frankly disgusting. So is the precedent of forced labour of people who simply cannot find work while the jobs are simply not there.
    Vote BNP

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    I reckon this is a cynical ploy by the conservatives to get workers on the cheap. Councils are going to be losing hundreds of thousands of permanent positions and replacing them with cheap workers from the dole queue. The government will be paying these folk less than the minimum wage, which is frankly disgusting. So is the precedent of forced labour of people who simply cannot find work while the jobs are simply not there.
    I agree that it most probably is a cynical ploy, wasn't this a central part of Dave's "big society" to encourage more of the voluntary sector to take over where cuts were "necessary", well if you can't get people to volunteer then you have to force them.

That being said I do think voluntary work should be encouraged for the unemployed, if for no other reason than it improves the prospects of the long term unemployed by having something on their cv - it does rather depend on the type of work though doesn't it, very little point a doctor sweeping the street for example. It's also good for the soul to work in a voluntary capacity and could help break the cycle of depression and aimlessness which unemployment often brings. I myself, volunteer as a classroom assistant in a local primary school because whilst I am forced to live primarily off benefits I need to feel useful and to contribute something.
    "The people who have sacrificed their view in order to get to the top have very often left no footprints in the sands of time." Tony Benn

Major Sinic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    The unemployed will be ordered to do periods of compulsory full-time work in the community or be stripped of their benefits under controversial American-style plans to slash the number of people without jobs.
    The proposals, in a white paper on welfare reform to be unveiled this week, are part of a radical government agenda aimed at cutting the 190bn-a-year welfare bill and breaking what the coalition now calls the "habit of worklessness".
    The measures will be announced to parliament by the work and pensions secretary, Iain Duncan Smith, as part of what he will describe as a new "contract" with the 1.4 million people on jobseekers' allowance. The government's side of the bargain will be the promise of a new "universal credit", to replace all existing benefits, that will ensure it always pays to work rather than stay on welfare.
    In return, where advisers believe a jobseeker would benefit from experiencing the "habits and routines" of working life, an unemployed person will be told to take up "mandatory work activity" of at least 30 hours a week for a four-week period. If they refuse or fail to complete the programme their jobseeker's allowance payments, currently 50.95 a week for those under 25 and 64.30 for those over 25, could be stopped for at least three months.

Unemployed told: do four weeks of unpaid work or lose your benefits | Politics | The Observer

The British population at large has been suggesting this for years; what has taken politicians so long?
    The biggest reason that politicians haven't done anything about welfare reform for the last thirteen years is because they were Labour politicians!

At last some fairness and social justice for the hard pressed taxpayer. I don't dispute that a civilised society should provide essential support ( health care, education, welfare) for those who are unable to help or support themselves. I absolutely oppose any form of welfare support or benefit for those who are make no effort to help themselves and, even more contemptible, those who make a conscious decision to sponge off those who pay their taxes and fulfill their social obligations. I am delighted that benefits for such anti-social scroungers are to be made conditional and can be withdrawn.

Those who are genuinely in need of welfare support and are genuinely seeking to help themselves need have no fear of this initiative. It seems to me to be directly targeted were it should be; at the lazy and feckless.

I had no respect for IDS when he led the Tories round and round the political wilderness, but his root and branch restructuring of the welfare system is showing great promise of delivering real social justice; work will always pay more than benefits and 'Labours Scroungers Charter' is to be repealed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I agree that it most probably is a cynical ploy, wasn't this a central part of Dave's "big society" to encourage more of the voluntary sector to take over where cuts were "necessary", well if you can't get people to volunteer then you have to force them.

That being said I do think voluntary work should be encouraged for the unemployed, if for no other reason than it improves the prospects of the long term unemployed by having something on their cv - it does rather depend on the type of work though doesn't it, very little point a doctor sweeping the street for example. It's also good for the soul to work in a voluntary capacity and could help break the cycle of depression and aimlessness which unemployment often brings. I myself, volunteer as a classroom assistant in a local primary school because whilst I am forced to live primarily off benefits I need to feel useful and to contribute something.
    I don't believe it is a cynical ploy at all, but we really need to see the full content of the scheme which I think is being rolled out on Thursday.

In the meantime I very much applaud your volunteering for the classroom assistant post and heartily endorse your reasons for doing so. It is precisely because so few recipients of benefits bother to get out of bed at all, that the new arrangements are vital.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manrow View Post
    I don't believe it is a cynical ploy at all, but we really need to see the full content of the scheme which I think is being rolled out on Thursday.

In the meantime I very much applaud your volunteering for the classroom assistant post and heartily endorse your reasons for doing so. It is precisely because so few recipients of benefits bother to get out of bed at all, that the new arrangements are vital.
    It most certainly is very much a ploy the unemployed are not ALL idle Jacks, their not getting any REAL justice either from these upper crust NWO freaks! They need jobs, proper jobs, JOBS that bring in a decent wage, they certainly don't want to be treat like a bunch of retards, sent from pillar to post to please any establishment, the very ONES that did away with British jobs, giving them ALL away to bloody FOREIGNORS! This is OUR country and the sooner we all understand this fact the quicker we ALL get back to square one! Our political freaks are wrecking OUR lives to make THEIRS GREAT and your lot are still voting them in, THEIR FREAKS for GODS sake and they ALL need kicking out NOW!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

While I would usually be all for this, with recent economic crisis pushing more and more people out of work, I don't think this is the right time to put in this kind of scheme, which will inevitably affect those who are only recently unemployed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield39 View Post
    It most certainly is very much a ploy the unemployed are not ALL idle Jacks, their not getting any REAL justice either from these upper crust NWO freaks! They need jobs, proper jobs, JOBS that bring in a decent wage, they certainly don't want to be treat like a bunch of retards, sent from pillar to post to please any establishment, the very ONES that did away with British jobs, giving them ALL away to bloody FOREIGNORS! This is OUR country and the sooner we all understand this fact the quicker we ALL get back to square one! Our political freaks are wrecking OUR lives to make THEIRS GREAT and your lot are still voting them in, THEIR FREAKS for GODS sake and they ALL need kicking out NOW!
    CAPITAL letters make EVERYTHING I say CORRECT.

Jobs don't belong to us, they belong to whoever creates them.

This is a coalition policy I actually agree with.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Major Sinic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    While I would usually be all for this, with recent economic crisis pushing more and more people out of work, I don't think this is the right time to put in this kind of scheme, which will inevitably affect those who are only recently unemployed.
    I think it is far more likely to affect those who are actively avoiding the obligation to look for work, particularly in the long term, rather than those who are recently unemployed and actively looking to once again be employed.

In these austere times I, and those people with above average incomes, are required as 'net givers' to give more, so I think it is eminently fair that 'net takers; are required to take less.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    I have to agree.
    How can the government ignore the minimum employment wage for their own purposes?
    I can feel some litigation coming on from the unemployed people's union.
    Save us all 22,000,000 a day. Leave the EU.