Thread: Help with policy

BOND Guest

Help with policy

Dear All,
    I am a little confused about something and I hoped that someone may be able to clarify my situation.
    I saw Tony Blair interviewed by Jeremy Paxman and he was very passionate about Labour continuing with his policies in order to come through it all in the end and I have also seen all of these angry Labour MPís shocked by the fact that they were not re-elected.
    On the flip side of this, I keep hearing about the amount of debt that labour have built up during their last term, in fact, enough debt to put us very close to worldwide bad credit rating.
    So my question is this: How were the labour policies going to work, I donít understand how that kind of overspend could work? I am not saying it would not work but I just canít see how it would. Maybe I am missing something?
    I mean, Labour must think it would work but they never say how? I can see logic in the conservatives cutting debt but I canít see the logic in creating further debt.
    Many thanks for any assistance!

BOND Guest

Re: Help with policy

I noted how no Labour supporter has attempted to answer this question... why would that be do you think? Yes, thats right, you are embarresed at the poor performance of Labour. Someone outside this forum has answered my question as follows:

Labour were going to run our debt to the point of collapse and then print loads of money to flood into the economy. I am now so glad that conservative won because I dont have to take a wheelbarrow of £20 notes to buy a loaf of bread!!

If any Labour supporters would like to comment on this I would be most glad to hear what you have to say... I doubt you will though because there is nothing you can say is there... The problem with Labour is that it's supporters are only after their little bit. For example, Labour pay more benefits so I will vote Labour. No Labour supporters can ever see the bigger picture can they?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Help with policy

It's a fair criticism that prior to 2008, running a deficit was a naive thing to do.
    However, following the financial crisis, failing to act would have left the private sector in dire straits and unemployment would be much much higher than it is now. This is vindicated by similar actions taken all across the developed world.

Oh and erm:
    "Labour were going to run our debt to the point of collapse and then print loads of money to flood into the economy. I am now so glad that conservative won because I dont have to take a wheelbarrow of £20 notes to buy a loaf of bread!! "

No they weren't. Gordon Brown isn't Robert Mugabe.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74