Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: George Osborne is getting it right

  1. #1
    Major Sinic Guest

    George Osborne is getting it right

    Latest UK growth figures show that growth in the second quarter was twice the expected level. This has enabled the B of E to place further plans for quantitative easing on the 'back burner' for the meantime at least. Poor for the stockmarket but good for the economy.

    Following these figures one of the worlds leading ratings agencies 'Standard and Poor's' raised Britain's credit rating from negative to stable, and reaffirmed Britain's AAA credit rating. This follows on from Fitch and Moody, another leading credit agency who last week also reaffirmed Britain's AAA credit rating. Combined with the IMS support of the Coalition's economic measures, this international vote of confidence reduces the risk to the Governments fiscal consolidation programme, and will minimise any risk of higher interest rates on Britain's future borrowings.

    These are very promising signs that the Liberal Conservative Coalition are making the right decisions in combating the massive financial crisis left to the country as Labour's most memorable legacy.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,183
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 53 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    Well George is right that we must make cuts and we should begin making them now. However, and this is a big however, I am NOT impressed by his cutting of the defence budget, I am not impressed by his restrictions on IDS' welfare reforms, I am not impressed by his cutting of research funding, I am not impressed by his desire to cut University funding and I think his support for the NHS reforms are misplaced.

    I think his child benefit changes were ridiculous, and I think ringfencing education and health was utterly stupid.

    But that aside, I am quite supportive of cuts.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

  3. #3
    Major Sinic Guest

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    Quote Originally Posted by LA View Post
    Well George is right that we must make cuts and we should begin making them now. However, and this is a big however, I am NOT impressed by his cutting of the defence budget, I am not impressed by his restrictions on IDS' welfare reforms, I am not impressed by his cutting of research funding, I am not impressed by his desire to cut University funding and I think his support for the NHS reforms are misplaced.

    I think his child benefit changes were ridiculous, and I think ringfencing education and health was utterly stupid.

    But that aside, I am quite supportive of cuts.
    Cries of outrage are coming from every strata and special interest group of society. That tells me George is getting it about right, since everybody is hurting.

    All of your objections, as well you know, are entirely predictable from the right of the Conservative Party, with the exception of university education..

    Whilst emotionally I agree regarding defence, the simple fact is that we are no longer able to afford to be in the premier league of military nations, so rationally I disagree. Far better that we focus our resources on our own borders and do it properly rather than play global policeman and screw it up by underfunding.

    A university education is a privilege and a matter of choice. You don't have to go but if you choose to why should the taxpayer pay for your own self-advancement. You, on average are going to earn £100,000 more than a non-graduate and in all probability have a more stimulating career. Research funding I'm afraid goes hand in hand with university funding. Too many university lecturers and dons are grossly overpaid. Business should expect to fund more research. This will have the effect of making it more relevant and potentially useful, and less motivated purely by cerebral challenge.

    I fully agree with regard to welfare reforms; in particular I think that the universal benefits cap is set at far too high a level at the equivalent gross wage of £35000 per annum. I would also like to see harsher penalties for benefit cheats. Universal benefits for all is morally unjustifiable. Winter fuel allowance, free TV License, free prescriptions for the wealthy just because they are old? Child allowances for those who really don't need them? Far better to focus these on those that need them. Come on LA everybody has to share the pain.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,183
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 53 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    [QUOTE=Major Sinic;119697]All of your objections, as well you know, are entirely predictable from the right of the Conservative Party, with the exception of university education..[quote]

    Yeah the right of the Conservative Party is the place to be. I was called a fascist the other day... my response was "I am not authoritarian... I am not forcing you to act like a **** and I am not stopping you acting like a ****"... His face was classic.

    Whilst emotionally I agree regarding defence, the simple fact is that we are no longer able to afford to be in the premier league of military nations, so rationally I disagree. Far better that we focus our resources on our own borders and do it properly rather than play global policeman and screw it up by underfunding.
    I disagree. In my view, as long as this government can ring fence Health and Education spending; two of the three largest budgets, then we can afford defence and we can afford to increase the budget for defence. It is purely political of the government to not do so and to increase health and education instead. Its disgusting. I think the waste, inefficiency and bureaucracy in the Ministry of Defence should be removed, with every penny reinvested into the budget. I do think trident should be part of the MoD budget, however, the MoD budget should be increased by the amount equivalent to trident replacement and maintenance costs.

    A university education is a privilege and a matter of choice. You don't have to go but if you choose to why should the taxpayer pay for your own self-advancement. You, on average are going to earn £100,000 more than a non-graduate and in all probability have a more stimulating career. Research funding I'm afraid goes hand in hand with university funding. Too many university lecturers and dons are grossly overpaid. Business should expect to fund more research. This will have the effect of making it more relevant and potentially useful, and less motivated purely by cerebral challenge.
    Don't get me wrong, I support a MASSIVE increase in student fees. I think students should be expected to pay for their education, however, the best Universities in the world; excluding ours are American and they have huge tuition fee costs and are heavily supported by the government - this is why they are so brilliant, the sheer amount of funding they receive.

    Unlike you, it would appear, I support research for academic purposes.

    I fully agree with regard to welfare reforms; in particular I think that the universal benefits cap is set at far too high a level at the equivalent gross wage of £35000 per annum. I would also like to see harsher penalties for benefit cheats.
    Agree entirely.

    Universal benefits for all is morally unjustifiable. Winter fuel allowance, free TV License, free prescriptions for the wealthy just because they are old? Child allowances for those who really don't need them? Far better to focus these on those that need them. Come on LA everybody has to share the pain.
    Major Sinic my Tory chum, I think you misunderstand my stance. I support the abolition of the winter fuel allowance, the abolition of free TV licenses, the abolition of free prescription charges* and the abolition of child benefits. I support the introduction of a mass simplified welfare system entirely designed around the principle "only for those that really need it". In other words, provide a safety net to those that are doing well, in case their situation changes, and for those who barely earn enough to make a lively, provide an income support to bring their household income to £15,000. Naturally this should be coupled with a increase of the tax allowance to £15,000.

    Benefit cheats should be severely punished, and those that refuse work when they can work should lose every penny of benefit - the state has no obligation to them and if they commit crime rather than work, they can spend a good few years in jail.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

  5. #5
    Major Sinic Guest

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    Yeah the right of the Conservative Party is the place to be. I was called a fascist the other day... my response was "I am not authoritarian... I am not forcing you to act like a **** and I am not stopping you acting like a ****"... His face was classic.
    We both agree that the Conservative party is the place to be, but we do sit on different sides of it. I consider myself a centrist, politically very much in the mode of Heath, although I didn't like the man and today in line with Cameron Hague and Clarke. You on the other hand lean toward the right and probably look to the likes of David Davis and Liam Fox. Fine people but a little uncompromising for my taste.


    I disagree. In my view, as long as this government can ring fence Health and Education spending; two of the three largest budgets, then we can afford defence and we can afford to increase the budget for defence. It is purely political of the government to not do so and to increase health and education instead. Its disgusting. I think the waste, inefficiency and bureaucracy in the Ministry of Defence should be removed, with every penny reinvested into the budget. I do think trident should be part of the MoD budget, however, the MoD budget should be increased by the amount equivalent to trident replacement and maintenance costs.
    Well we will have to disagree. The Trident replacement has been put on hold for five years, I suspect with a view to proceeding if the planned economic recovery has been achieved. Overall a capital cost of £25 billion spread over its expected programme life of twenty years is not a massive amount for such a deterrent. I am not however convinced that nuclear missiles are the answer to the type of threat we will be predominantly facing in the future. I believe that this will be fundamentally terrorism, and border security, trained personnel, comprehensive intelligence and appropriate weapons and the will to use them, are the required priority.



    Don't get me wrong, I support a MASSIVE increase in student fees. I think students should be expected to pay for their education, however, the best Universities in the world; excluding ours are American and they have huge tuition fee costs and are heavily supported by the government - this is why they are so brilliant, the sheer amount of funding they receive.
    Well we half agree here! A substantial increase in the resources available for research for its own sake is, I think somewhat inappropriate at this time.







    Major Sinic my Tory chum, I think you misunderstand my stance. I support the abolition of the winter fuel allowance, the abolition of free TV licenses, the abolition of free prescription charges* and the abolition of child benefits. I support the introduction of a mass simplified welfare system entirely designed around the principle "only for those that really need it". In other words, provide a safety net to those that are doing well, in case their situation changes, and for those who barely earn enough to make a lively, provide an income support to bring their household income to £15,000. Naturally this should be coupled with a increase of the tax allowance to £15,000.
    I did misunderstand, and I agree with your position.

    Benefit cheats should be severely punished, and those that refuse work when they can work should lose every penny of benefit - the state has no obligation to them and if they commit crime rather than work, they can spend a good few years in jail.
    Again I fully agree.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,183
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 53 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    We both agree that the Conservative party is the place to be, but we do sit on different sides of it. I consider myself a centrist, politically very much in the mode of Heath, although I didn't like the man and today in line with Cameron Hague and Clarke. You on the other hand lean toward the right and probably look to the likes of David Davis and Liam Fox. Fine people but a little uncompromising for my taste.
    David Davis, Liam Fox, Daniel Hannan, Douglas Carswell... Good guys really...

    Hague is on the very traditional side of the party, whilst Clarke and Cameron are One Nations...

    I think Margaret Thatcher summed it up during a conference once "Its always better where the Tories are". Brilliant! It was when the miners were striking and burst into the conference.


    Well we will have to disagree. The Trident replacement has been put on hold for five years, I suspect with a view to proceeding if the planned economic recovery has been achieved. Overall a capital cost of £25 billion spread over its expected programme life of twenty years is not a massive amount for such a deterrent. I am not however convinced that nuclear missiles are the answer to the type of threat we will be predominantly facing in the future. I believe that this will be fundamentally terrorism, and border security, trained personnel, comprehensive intelligence and appropriate weapons and the will to use them, are the required priority.
    Oh I agree that we must diversify our military services to more specialised units, more specialised equipment, more intelligence based services. I don't disagree, however, I still think we should maintain some degree of conventional forces and a nuclear deterrent; be that trident or another system.

    Well we half agree here! A substantial increase in the resources available for research for its own sake is, I think somewhat inappropriate at this time.
    Don't see why... its hardly expensive and the Universities sector is a NET gain for the economy in terms of what we spend.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,183
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 53 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    Major Sinic, I found a video of the conference: YouTube - Margaret Thatcher's response to heckler.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

  8. #8
    soloist Guest

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    Quote Originally Posted by LA View Post
    Major Sinic, I found a video of the conference: YouTube - Margaret Thatcher's response to heckler.
    George galloway needs a bullet between his eyes the traitorous,delusional,publicity seeking scumbag..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    Latest UK growth figures show that growth in the second quarter was twice the expected level. This has enabled the B of E to place further plans for quantitative easing on the 'back burner' for the meantime at least. Poor for the stockmarket but good for the economy.

    Following these figures one of the worlds leading ratings agencies 'Standard and Poor's' raised Britain's credit rating from negative to stable, and reaffirmed Britain's AAA credit rating. This follows on from Fitch and Moody, another leading credit agency who last week also reaffirmed Britain's AAA credit rating. Combined with the IMS support of the Coalition's economic measures, this international vote of confidence reduces the risk to the Governments fiscal consolidation programme, and will minimise any risk of higher interest rates on Britain's future borrowings.

    These are very promising signs that the Liberal Conservative Coalition are making the right decisions in combating the massive financial crisis left to the country as Labour's most memorable legacy.
    Too soon to make any bold predictions like this. Some of the rosy figues were a direct result of construction programmes paid for by the Labour regime. Consumers are still reluctant to spend money which has lead to weak retail sales figures, the nationwide property index is expected to show a fall in house values and many firms are frightened and waiting with baited breath to see how the spending cuts will impact on their finances. I agree that the doom mongers didnt take into account how resilient our economy is but the question is whether we can continue on this course of recovery . I reckon that this relies way too heavily on the private sector and their ability to gain sufficient credit from the banks. Does anyone honestly believe that the private sector will take on the estimated 500,000 people sacked by the public sector cuts? Does anyone believe Camerons constant droning about high tech, high value manufacturing or his belief in investing heavily in science(where 200 million quid is nowhere near enough to catch up with other high tech economies)?

    And does anyone believe that the dole queues will just go up and up for native Brits while immigrants from our open borders with Europe and elsewhere will just lap up all the jobs? When unemployment starts rising the public will quickly lose confidence in the coalition goverment, that will be the acid test. Not now its way too soon to pass judgement.
    Vote BNP

  10. #10
    Major Sinic Guest

    re: George Osborne is getting it right

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Too soon to make any bold predictions like this. Some of the rosy figues were a direct result of construction programmes paid for by the Labour regime. Consumers are still reluctant to spend money which has lead to weak retail sales figures, the nationwide property index is expected to show a fall in house values and many firms are frightened and waiting with baited breath to see how the spending cuts will impact on their finances. I agree that the doom mongers didnt take into account how resilient our economy is but the question is whether we can continue on this course of recovery . I reckon that this relies way too heavily on the private sector and their ability to gain sufficient credit from the banks. Does anyone honestly believe that the private sector will take on the estimated 500,000 people sacked by the public sector cuts? Does anyone believe Camerons constant droning about high tech, high value manufacturing or his belief in investing heavily in science(where 200 million quid is nowhere near enough to catch up with other high tech economies)?

    And does anyone believe that the dole queues will just go up and up for native Brits while immigrants from our open borders with Europe and elsewhere will just lap up all the jobs? When unemployment starts rising the public will quickly lose confidence in the coalition goverment, that will be the acid test. Not now its way too soon to pass judgement.
    I do agree with much of what you say. However my first two paragraphs reported facts rather than opinions, and my third referred to 'promising signs' which is hardly a bold prediction. I do agree that we have many problems to address before we are remotely out of the economic mire including bank lending, house price stabilisation, employment and insufficient of control over economic migrants both in terms of limiting entry and repatriation of illegal and overstay migrants. However I do think that we have a national trait of talking ourselves down, when recognition of positive progress is not recognised.

Similar Threads

  1. The Chancellor George Osborne presents: The Budget!
    By Pegasus in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 27-03-2011, 02:50 PM
  2. George Osborne gets something right (sort of)
    By JacquesMagique in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 08:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •