Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreign aid to increase by 37%

Thanks

Thumbs down Foreign aid to increase by 37%

The foreign aid budget will soar by 37 per cent while domestic spending is being slashed.

Other than tiny increases at health and work and pensions, the Department for International Development is the only ministry not suffering cuts of up to 50 per cent.

Read more: SPENDING REVIEW 2010: Foreign aid to increase by 37% | Mail Online
    Vote BNP

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Foreign aid to increase by 37%

As much as I hate to agree, I do! It must only be fair to have cuts across the board!
    "The people who have sacrificed their view in order to get to the top have very often left no footprints in the sands of time." Tony Benn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    As much as I hate to agree, I do! It must only be fair to have cuts across the board!

Agreed. Charity should always begin at home! Stop the foreign aid now and show some respect to those who are trying to live life in the UK
    Vote BNP

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Foreign aid still remains a tiny minute fraction of government spending, and in comparative terms, things aren't really all that bad here.

Ops, call yourself progressive??
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    The foreign aid budget will soar by 37 per cent while domestic spending is being slashed.

Other than tiny increases at health and work and pensions, the Department for International Development is the only ministry not suffering cuts of up to 50 per cent.

Read more: SPENDING REVIEW 2010: Foreign aid to increase by 37% | Mail Online
    I agree the whole situation is outrageous for several different reasons.

Firstly the percentage increase will make many people who are losing benefits weep. It cannot be right.
    Secondly as others have said, in principle we should be looking after our own first.
    Thirdly when you look where the money is going; how can anyone justify aid to India when they are spending their own money on space research and other high technologies? If there is any poverty there they should also be looking after their own.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMagique View Post
    Ops, call yourself progressive??
    Mostly Jacques but not always. Truth be told, progressive or not, I can be as selfish as everyone else and I'm worried that my child's TA will lose her job and that his speech and language therapy will be cancelled. Notice I didn't say it should be totally cut, I just feel that if we need cuts then they should be across the board - but those who need the money less (like the royal purse for example) should have a bigger percentage cut.
    "The people who have sacrificed their view in order to get to the top have very often left no footprints in the sands of time." Tony Benn

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post

Firstly the percentage increase will make many people who are losing benefits weep. It cannot be right.
    It's still a tiny tiny percent though, especially in comparison to the welfare budget.

Secondly as others have said, in principle we should be looking after our own first.
    Which is why ~95% of all government spending is domestic.

Thirdly when you look where the money is going; how can anyone justify aid to India when they are spending their own money on space research and other high technologies? If there is any poverty there they should also be looking after their own.
    It's not that simple though. The Indian space programme isn't just for kicks, it attracts investment and is a massive employer. Without it they would be even less well equipped to deal with poverty.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's not that simple though. The Indian space programme isn't just for kicks, it attracts investment and is a massive employer. Without it they would be even less well equipped to deal with poverty.
    I've never read such bunkum in all my life! Whyever are these people messing about with a space programme, when their peoples are in dire need of so much more? And why oh why, do the British government allow themselves to be part of this lunacy, is more to the point? Good health care, homes, education, sanitry, and an inteliget caring government, (if there is such a thing out there at all?) all these things must come before wasting precious funds on shooting rockets to nowhere! By the time this political bunch of crazies have finished throwing our taxes about, like it was THEIRS, it will be the British people begging for aid around the world!

Thanks

It's still a tiny tiny percent though, especially in comparison to the welfare budget.

Which is why ~95% of all government spending is domestic.

I have considered this angle, but deduced that WE are actually paying for their space exploration programme, if you see what I mean.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield39 View Post
    I've never read such bunkum in all my life! Whyever are these people messing about with a space programme, when their peoples are in dire need of so much more?
    Erm,I just explained why.

Do you think the Indian government is too foolish to end this if it is such a waste of money? Do you think you understand the ideas of poverty reduction and development better than the government of India and international aid organisations?

And why oh why, do the British government allow themselves to be part of this lunacy, is more to the point? Good health care, homes, education, sanitry, and an inteliget caring government, (if there is such a thing out there at all?) all these things must come before wasting precious funds on shooting rockets to nowhere! By the time this political bunch of crazies have finished throwing our taxes about, like it was THEIRS, it will be the British people begging for aid around the world!
    This is incredibly melodramatic. In relative terms we have great care homes, education and 'sanitry'(?).