Thread: What is Ed Milliband up to?

Thanks

What is Ed Milliband up to?

One of his first pronouncements is that even millionaires should be entitled to child benefit.

I don't think I need post my views on that as I expect them to flood in from all corners!

Even millionaires should be entitled to child benefit, Ed Miliband says - Telegraph

How could Labour reduce the deficit with policies like this, and I am sure there is worse to come?

Thanks

Re: What is Ed Milliband up to?

Thank your God this man will never be in a position of power

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Thank your God this man will never be in a position of power
    But he already is in a position of power, where the previous incumbents deceived the public at large, and even their deception was not obvious to the opposition. He also has a bunch of very inexperienced opposition ministers accompanied by wild men like Ed Balls!

I would very much like to see a more modern accounting system so that a government could not hide expenditure on the scale seen over the last 13 years. It also needs to be almost real-time, so that every exceedance from a given budget is highlighted rapidly. Not diffcult in this age of computers surely?

Thanks

Manager of the 3rd XIV dosnt give him much.His helpers even less.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I can understand where Ed Miliband is coming from. I think it is somewhat dubious of the Telegraph to spin it in this way, because Ed Miliband is defending the universal principle of child benefit in that it shouldn't take into account the parents and their income but should be about the child. However, in saying that, I think Labour is itself being rather neglectful. They have failed to actually recognise the deficit as a problem let alone coming up with a solution.

I do not think the wealthy should be receiving welfare - welfare is for the poorest in society.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

Blane89 Guest

Labour have definitely missed a trick in the dealing of Child benefit.

All they had to do was say that households that earned over 70,000 for instance would not receive child benefit.

This would mean all the criticism would be aimed at Cameron but trust good old Labour to throw away an opportunity like that.

Let's be fair though, Labour are going to have plenty of opportunities at whacking the ConDem's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blane89 View Post
    Labour have definitely missed a trick in the dealing of Child benefit.

All they had to do was say that households that earned over 70,000 for instance would not receive child benefit.

This would mean all the criticism would be aimed at Cameron but trust good old Labour to throw away an opportunity like that.

Let's be fair though, Labour are going to have plenty of opportunities at whacking the ConDem's.
    But so have the Coalition. All they needed to explain was that they will come up with a scheme so that where both partners earn above 40,000 cumulatively, that they will also lose child benefit.