Thread: Raising The Age

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Raising The Age

It's a strange thing.

A person cannot be served in a bar until they are at least 18.

A person cannot gain entry into most nightclubs until they are at least 21.

A person cannot get a tattoo until they are 18.

There are lots of examples such as this, I agree with most, and these age limits are there for a good reason.

It is strange then, is it not, that while the state will protect the young mind from foolishly getting drunk (too young), or any of the other cited examples, they are quite content to play fast and loose with the age of admission into the military.

Seventeen years of age is sufficient (it seems), to be deemed old enough to train to kill and be killed, often in ignoble, immoral, and illegal conflicts.

Of course, this is no coincidence.

The warmongering politicians, much like the 'pastors' in the documentary, 'Jesus Camp', they fully understand that the younger the mind, the more malleable the mind.

In the interest of decency and consistancy, I propose that the min age in which one can join the armed forces be raised.

JN

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Raising The Age

I was under the impression you have to actually be 18 to do a tour right? In that case I don't think it's really a problem to be honest, it's only training.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMagique View Post
    I was under the impression you have to actually be 18 to do a tour right? In that case I don't think it's really a problem to be honest, it's only training.
    Even eighteen is too young.

Not sure what age you are, JM, but when I was eighteen I knew NOTHING of the world around me.

Knowing comes with age.

To become an MP or even serve on your local council, you need to be at least 21, I believe.

Thus, in practice, you can vote to send teenagers to conflicts, but you have to be 21 to do so, while those doing the fighting, they need only be eighteen!

Does that not seem a little mad to you?

Seems a little mad to me.

Before signing on the dotted line for anything, I feel it is absolutely crucial that you REALLY know what you are getting into.

Not as the recruitment officers would tell it, as it really is.

I would like to ask 100 18 yr old soldiers how much they know of the politics behind the conflict that they are about to be sent into.

I have this feeling they would not know very much about it.

Which makes it ethically wrong, imo.

Remember, this is perhaps the single biggest life decision they will ever make, more so than going into that nightclub, ordering that beer, or getting that tat.

For this decision could literally cost them their life.

JN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Napier View Post
    It's a strange thing.

There are lots of examples such as this, I agree with most, and these age limits are there for a good reason.

It is strange then, is it not, that while the state will protect the young mind from foolishly getting drunk (too young), or any of the other cited examples, they are quite content to play fast and loose with the age of admission into the military.

Seventeen years of age is sufficient (it seems), to be deemed old enough to train to kill and be killed, often in ignoble, immoral, and illegal conflicts.

The warmongering politicians, much like the 'pastors' in the documentary, 'Jesus Camp', they fully understand that the younger the mind, the more malleable the mind.

In the interest of decency and consistancy, I propose that the min age in which one can join the armed forces be raised.

JN
    Raising the age would reduce the number of recruits, when we are young we think we are invincible, we have the "never happen to me syndrome". Once we realise our own mortality we beging to act in a more sensible manner. Lots of kids who join up at 17 to train end up leaving within the first four years. The Army has obviously researched this and acted upon it. I favor upping the age to 21 also, once my lad hits 21 I would up it to 25!

Thanks

I think 18 is OK as the minimum for joining the forces. For being sent on active service overseas, 21 should be the minimum. In the event of a national crisis, such as threat of invasion, under 21's should not be used as front-line unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Napier View Post
    It's a strange thing.

JN
    I think it's fine to join the armed forces at 18, but I agree that the age on which you can enter combat on the field and do a tour should be increased. 21 is fine, you can't really say you can't do something beyond that age.
    "If We Don't End War, War Will End Us." H.G Wells
    "Don't Worry About Tomorrow, For Tomorrow Will Worry About Itself." Matthew 6:34
    "For God So Loved The World, That He Gave His Only Begotten Son, That Whoever Believes In Him Shall Not Perish But Have Eternal Life." John 3:16
    "An Eye For An Eye And Soon The Whole World Will Be Blind." Gandhi
    Habeas Corpus
    Innocent Until Proven Guilty