Thread: Why is David Milliband walking out on Labour's top team?

Thanks

Why is David Milliband walking out on Labour's top team?

He's popular with the Labour party. He's served in the very front rank of politics, striding the world stage - pictured with Obama, feted by Hillary Clinton. He's still only 45 - relatively young for a politician. And he says he loves his brother.
    So, why is David Miliband walking out on Labour's top team just at the moment that they require youth and experience - two qualities which he can display - in order to rebuild after the general election defeat?
    Although he was reluctant to say so, during the leadership contest he finally agreed he would serve under his brother Ed if he lost. But he didn't specify in what capacity.

BBC News - Why is David Miliband walking out on Labour's top team?

I have a feeling that David feels that Ed will fail to unite the factious Labour party and does not wish to be associated with the revamped Labour party under Ed's leadership.

Thanks

Re: Why is David Milliband walking out on Labour's top team?

Hi,

in answer to your question:

COMMON SENSE

I never cease to be amazed at how few people have COMMON SENSE and are still in the Labour Party - economic illiterates, political idiots, liars and squabbling self serving creeps and that's only the Cabinet!

The members are treated like dirt whilst the leadership will do anything for Union money when clearly the Union movement has been principally responsible for shutting down industry, manufacturing and most British jobs which they have stood by grinning as they watched them driven over seas.

Regards,
    Greg_L-W.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lance-Watkins View Post
    Hi,

in answer to your question:

COMMON SENSE

I never cease to be amazed at how few people have COMMON SENSE and are still in the Labour Party - economic illiterates, political idiots, liars and squabbling self serving creeps and that's only the Cabinet!

The members are treated like dirt whilst the leadership will do anything for Union money when clearly the Union movement has been principally responsible for shutting down industry, manufacturing and most British jobs which they have stood by grinning as they watched them driven over seas.

Regards,
    Greg_L-W.
    Good post GLW

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think the answer is fairly straight forward. Sibbling ravalry and ego. David expected to win the leadership contest. He never expected to be in a position where he'd be waiting to see what shadow cabinet job his kid brother would appoint him to.
    On the back benches he can plot and stir against his brother without overtly drawing attention to himself.
    Ed will almost certainly loose the next election, stand down as leader, enter David back into the front line as the man who should have succeeded Brown all along.
    Judging by the things Ed said in his opening speach to the party as leader, we can say goodbye to the old school blairites and brownites. There were some very uncomfortable expressions from the likes of Jack Straw and co when Ed denounced many of Labours policies over the past decade such as the war in Iraq.

The current labor party is a joke, has been since the death of John Smith. Expect them to spend at least a decade in opposition.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
    I think the answer is fairly straight forward. Sibbling ravalry and ego. David expected to win the leadership contest. He never expected to be in a position where he'd be waiting to see what shadow cabinet job his kid brother would appoint him to.
    On the back benches he can plot and stir against his brother without overtly drawing attention to himself.
    Ed will almost certainly loose the next election, stand down as leader, enter David back into the front line as the man who should have succeeded Brown all along.
    Judging by the things Ed said in his opening speach to the party as leader, we can say goodbye to the old school blairites and brownites. There were some very uncomfortable expressions from the likes of Jack Straw and co when Ed denounced many of Labours policies over the past decade such as the war in Iraq.

The current labor party is a joke, has been since the death of John Smith. Expect them to spend at least a decade in opposition.
    Labour have clearly elected the wrong brother, though as you say it may work for David in the long run as when Ed fails ( and he will fail) David will be there to pick up the pieces.

I feel Ed lacks the charisma and experience of his older brother and that will be telling in time.
    I'm in my 30's, live like I'm still in my 20's and gripe like I'm in my 60's!

I drive, a 2.2 Type S GT Civic to work and Stage 1 V8 landrover at the weekends to annoy the hippies.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

One thing he did do which I found refreshing after the last two crack pot labour leaders, was to nail his colours firmly to the secular mast.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Labour have clearly elected the wrong brother, though as you say it may work for David in the long run as when Ed fails ( and he will fail) David will be there to pick up the pieces.

I feel Ed lacks the charisma and experience of his older brother and that will be telling in time.
    Hi,

the Labour Party didn't elect Ed Millipede the members didn't elect him - the MPs didn't elect him - he just shuffled along bought and paid for by The Union block vote, so he is bought and paid for BUT without that vote he would have been stuffed as leader as he needs their money.

As I said - bought and paid for.

The Party must be relieved he renounced his Jewish origins but I'd also have liked to see him renounce the Marxism, disloyalty, ingratitude and betrayals that his family has built a reputation on.

There again having just betrayed his brother and expecting a knife in the back from him at any moment shows his family has moved on little.

He will be a disaster for the party ensuring a loss at the next election as will be his brother who will oust him shortly after the next election.

But then again Labour's leaders have been an embarrassment and treacherous - without exception, since the 1960s.

Regards,
    Greg_L-W.

Thanks

There may be 2 reasons he has left, the 1st which I hope is the real reason is he felt he would be better leaving Ed free to run the party without the continual sniping of others about David, the 2nd which I hope is not the case is to leave Ed mess it all up and then move in to the leadership position.