Thread: Flying White Elephants - they cannot even fly into warzones

Thanks

Flying White Elephants - they cannot even fly into warzones

The next generation of tanker aircraft for the RAF could well be delivered without the protection systems which are already available, enabling them to fly in warzones.

You need to treat this story with some circumspection as it comes from the dreaded Daily Mail:-

Flying white elephants: MoD orders 10.5billion planes that can't fly into warzones | Mail Online

But it is a PFI scheme = costs a fortune and very often any changes in specification cost a fortune to implement. However I feel very uneasy that the MOD has apparently signed up to all this; we would expect the last Labour government to have done so, but surely the MOD know better?

Thanks

Re: Flying White Elephants - they cannot even fly into warzones

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    The next generation of tanker aircraft for the RAF could well be delivered without the protection systems which are already available, enabling them to fly in warzones.

You need to treat this story with some circumspection as it comes from the dreaded Daily Mail:-

Flying white elephants: MoD orders 10.5billion planes that can't fly into warzones | Mail Online

But it is a PFI scheme = costs a fortune and very often any changes in specification cost a fortune to implement. However I feel very uneasy that the MOD has apparently signed up to all this; we would expect the last Labour government to have done so, but surely the MOD know better?
    What makes you think that the MOD should be any better than government in procurement?

I can recall years ago working in an aircraft manufacturer's accounts department, where most development contracts with government were on a cost plus basis, mainly because the purchaser kept changing their minds. They tried to introduce fixed price contracts but that didn't work terribly well, as there was no incentive to the manufacturer to devolop a superior or more efficient component!

As is stated in the article the Americans had selected the Airbus tanker as being more efficient and competitive that their own domestic manufacturers of Boeing etc., could produce. I don't believe the Americans would have recommended an Airbus product without it being streets ahead of the American equivalent competition!