Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Legalise Cannabis debate revived

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Legalise Cannabis debate revived

    Here we have another expert recommending the legalisation of cannabis again but will it happen? I doubt it. Yes, it makes all kinds of sense to legalise this soft drug and ensure that it is sold free from contaminants, to make the government money not organised crime gangs and I do believe that it isn't as dangerous as cigarettes or alcohol so why won't they legalise it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Legalise Cannabis debate revived

    Quote Originally Posted by suffolklass View Post
    Here we have another expert recommending the legalisation of cannabis again but will it happen? I doubt it. Yes, it makes all kinds of sense to legalise this soft drug and ensure that it is sold free from contaminants, to make the government money not organised crime gangs and I do believe that it isn't as dangerous as cigarettes or alcohol so why won't they legalise it?
    There is indeed a great deal of sense in the argument for legalisation and licenced sale of cannabis, and from what research I've seen there isn't any more danger from it than from other legally available substances. The problem, and no doubt the main issue which will be highlighted by the authorities, is that even though the point of sale might be controlled, beyond that there is no control and we might end up with a similar situation to that we're finding ourselves with in respect of binge drinking and the consequential social and health issue it causes. I know cannabis doesn't normally encourage rowdy behaviour, more often than not it's the very opposite, but I can see parallels being drawn. On balance I'd vote for its legalisation and carefully controlled sale, but I suspect you're right in saying that it won't happen.
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In a pub
    Posts
    7,514
    Thanks
    737
    Thanked 759 Times in 585 Posts

    Re: Legalise Cannabis debate revived

    Having been around people who smoke this crap (paronoid pricks) I have to dissagree.I have seen this drug turn normal young men into lathergic zombies who are of no use to anyone..The criminal argument dosnt stand up,criminals will find other illeagle ways to finance their lifestyes. All the legalisation of canabis will do is bring it (and the idiots who smoke it) onto the streets as we found during the experiment in Lambeth a few years ago.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Legalise Cannabis debate revived

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    There is indeed a great deal of sense in the argument for legalisation and licenced sale of cannabis, and from what research I've seen there isn't any more danger from it than from other legally available substances. The problem, and no doubt the main issue which will be highlighted by the authorities, is that even though the point of sale might be controlled, beyond that there is no control and we might end up with a similar situation to that we're finding ourselves with in respect of binge drinking and the consequential social and health issue it causes. I know cannabis doesn't normally encourage rowdy behaviour, more often than not it's the very opposite, but I can see parallels being drawn. On balance I'd vote for its legalisation and carefully controlled sale, but I suspect you're right in saying that it won't happen.
    I find the whole attitude to 'drugs' in its widest sense very worrying.

    I believe we need to start at a much earlier point than considering legalisation of presently illegal substances, as we seem to have made available a wide range of things we take to 'cure' all sorts of ills. I personally have tried very hard throughout my life to avoid medications of any sort and it is only the onset of high blood pressure that has forced me to accept the taking of pills at regular intervals. I realise I am exceptionally lucky as I don't suffer from even headaches, so that even pain killers I don't use.

    On the other hand the population at large has become a nation of pill pushers, in the mistaken belief that they are the answer to all ills in an instant. As long as that view prevails then man will be constantly seeking more and stronger substances that can give a new 'high' whether available from your doctor via a prescription, bought over the counter and freely available, or bought illicitly as being the only way to obtain it.

    A massive change in society's attitude to what we put into ouir bodies is needed for us to deal with this difficult issue.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    5,935
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Legalise Cannabis debate revived

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    There is indeed a great deal of sense in the argument for legalisation and licenced sale of cannabis, and from what research I've seen there isn't any more danger from it than from other legally available substances. The problem, and no doubt the main issue which will be highlighted by the authorities, is that even though the point of sale might be controlled, beyond that there is no control and we might end up with a similar situation to that we're finding ourselves with in respect of binge drinking and the consequential social and health issue it causes. I know cannabis doesn't normally encourage rowdy behaviour, more often than not it's the very opposite, but I can see parallels being drawn. On balance I'd vote for its legalisation and carefully controlled sale, but I suspect you're right in saying that it won't happen.
    The problems seem to start after prolonged use once the user is off the drug. Paranoia and other mental health issues are linked to prolonged use of canabis. Through my work I've known a few people that have been long term canabis users, and have displayed very irrational paranoid behavior.
    I wonder if by legalising it, we do the same as we've done with alchahol and tobacco, create hugely expensive health problems further down the line.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

    The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

    Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Legalise Cannabis debate revived

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
    The problems seem to start after prolonged use once the user is off the drug. Paranoia and other mental health issues are linked to prolonged use of canabis. Through my work I've known a few people that have been long term canabis users, and have displayed very irrational paranoid behavior.
    I wonder if by legalising it, we do the same as we've done with alchahol and tobacco, create hugely expensive health problems further down the line.
    I have to be honest and say I don't know enough about the subject to be categoric, however there do seem to be very divided (authoritative) opinions on this, which would appear to revolve round the issue of whether long term cannabis use can cause schizophrenia or whether many of the people with latent schizophrenia are more likely to be cannabis users than those without the tendency.

    Regardless of that though, another aspect which has to be considered is whether the drop in the amount of direct and indirect crime caused by having certain drugs classed as legal but subject to regulated sale, and the consequent saving on the large amount of police time and resources tied up with that, is justified against the possibility that a relatively small number of people might go on to suffer adverse consequences. To me it's pretty clear cut, the benefit to the majority in society far outweighing the detriment to the few.
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midlands
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Legalise Cannabis debate revived

    I think long term exposure to any drug causes dependency, mood swings and pychological problems. Ask anyone who insists on their "morning coffee" to go without and you'll see a right grumpy *******. Not to say cannabis and caffeine are analogous, they're clearly not, but the current reasoning for defining cannabis as Class B is based on political, not scientific or social reasoning. Legalisation wil never happen in this country as it would create a legal minefield with regards to the EU and the subsequent moral outrage from middle England would be so massive as to be seen from space. We have a culture of slowly drinking ourselves to death in this country, there's no room for another drug of choice, regardless of whether or not it is proven to be less harmful.

    The truly idoitic argument against legalisation is the 'gateway drug' one. Arguing that cannabis leads to other, stronger drugs is a logically flawed point. I doubt anyone who has smoked cannabis will have not smoked tobbacco first, the gateway goes back as far as you want to take it. Its an issue clouded by politically motivated and oftentimes over-emotional news reporting, after all when it was re-classified as B (against the government's cheif drug advisor's recommendations may I add) you couldn't switch on the news without seeing a greiving mother blaming the drug for her son/daughter's death.

    There is also the whole issue of driving while under the influence (the science for proving someone has smoked is unreliable at best, despite police adverts to the contrary) which is a further barrier towards legalisation.
    Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
    E. B. White

    "
    To be honest, you think a/c jump the fence, I say the whole college jump the fence"
    The wonder that is Angelcountry
    "If we're going to have a police state, at least orgainise it properly!"
    Guy Outside the Chilcott Enquiry as he was led away by police for causing a 'disturbance' (thanks to LA I now know his name is Michael Culver)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •