Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Burn a Koran Day

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs down Burn a Koran Day

    I watched a news report on the BBC today that said that a Christian group had organised a "Burn a Koran Day" at their local church in California on 11th September. Apparently it's exactly what it says on the tin - turn up for the opportunity to burn what a large chunk of the world would consider a sacred and holy text.

    I have already made my position on Islam clear. I think it's open to abuse by extremists who claim to be able to use certain bits to justify the mass murder of non-muslims (or Muslims of the "wrong sort"), the oppression of women and other practices that should rightly horrify sensible, moral people. Although these practices are not condoned by the majority of Muslims throughout the world, Islam is covertly (and overtly) working it's way into the societies of non-muslim countries and I do worry that as time goes on we will start to feel a little overwhelmed to say the least.

    Before I get carried away, I'd better get back to the topic of this thread - I just wanted to make it clear that my objection to "Burn a Koran Day" doesn't mean that I don't have a big spoonful of "Islamaphobia" (lit. the objection to the secret invasion of my country) waiting for the next debate on the subject.

    If blasting villages full of tribesmen with cruise missiles and attack helicopters wasn't enough of a propaganda boost for the Islamic extremists out there, "we" (by which I mean the western world) are going to burn their holy book. If the aim of this Christian group was to help to swell the ranks of Al Quaeda then bravo. "Behold, the actions of the West," they'll say, and lump us all in together!

    But of course, that's not what they're going for. Apparently it's a demonstration of "defiance" against radical Islam. Most pople in the western world think that burning bibles and American flags makes Muslims look stupid so why sink to that? It contradicts your claim that the US is the land of the free.

    MY ADVICE TO THOSE ORGANISING THIS EVENT:

    Use the publicity that this controversy has given you and say that you've cancelled the event because you're better than that - but wait until everyone is there and take a collection for comfort parcels to send to frontline soldiers. You'll get lots of money because everyone will be feeling fired up and patriotic. Then you'll have done some good rather than being controversial for the sake of it.

    NOTE TO ADMINS - SURPRISED THAT I COULDN'T FIND AN EXISTING THREAD ON THIS. IF ONE ALREADY EXISTS AND I MISSED IT I APOLOGISE!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida - Gunshine State
    Posts
    5,563
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 236 Times in 215 Posts

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    There is a small sect of Christians that have what I would call extreme views. This small little church of about 50 people is along the same lines as the church that protest the burial of American servicemen because they think the military condones homosexuality, which is false. They are pretty well nutso.

    I have a couple of different views on it.

    First I donít care one way or the other about the friggin Muslims. They can kiss my Cracker ass but I donít feel the need to burn their book. To do so would make me like them.

    The other view I have is more important. The people in the church have the right to exercise their free speech and do whatever they want but it is a very stupid thing to do because American servicemen may get hurt because of it. The filthy Muslims are bonkers and will use this as an excuse to attack American soldiers and that is not a good thing. The life of an American soldier is not worth the free speech right of the church.

    The government should not intervene but American citizens should put a stop to it. There are people in the state talking about it now. The church may get a visit from a few veteransí organizations that may get a little militant.

    For General Patraeus to say something is very significant. American Generals do not normally comment on domestic issues. He must be very concerned.
    Libtards hate freedom unless it is the freedom to kill a child on demand for the sake of convenience. Otherwise they want the government to control every aspect of our lives.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    5,935
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    IMO, this vulgar profane act is ridiculous, and serves no purpose. As flash says, they should be regarded no better than the Westborough Baptist nut jobs that picket funerals, and call for the execution of homosexuals. And they do indeed lower themselves to the same level as Islamic looneys that burn books and flags.




    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    . The life of an American soldier is not worth the free speech right of the church.
    Really? I thought that's what their purpose was, to deffend the constitution.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

    The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

    Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CHEPSTOW-#8-NP165ET-MONMOUTHSHIRE
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    Hi,

    by what pretence do these odious people pretend to calling themselves Christian?

    This is just one of America's cults for the bewildered of which there are many passing themselves off as so called Christian.

    There seem to be incredibly few Christians in America and a great deal of isolationist hatred founded on ignorance and propaganda but in a country where less than 15% have and have used a passport for travel beyond their borders one can not be surprised at their lack of understanding of world affairs or international relations.

    It is interesting to note that America does not have a trained and qualified diplomatic service and considers in many instances that 'Celebs' are apposite as Ambassadors!

    That one of these cracker cults wants to make a spectacle of itself is unsurprising - you need only to look at Christian cults like The Church of Latter Day Saints - Mormon - Jeeeehovaaah's Wetnurse - the Cash for Contribution Churches - The Holy Rollers of the Bibble Belt - The Davidians - The born again nutters and literally 100s more.

    General Petraus was quite right (IF a bit bl**dy late!) this leads to strengthening the Taliban and WILL cost US lives.

    A pity that crook Bush and his cronies didn't think of this before invading the middle east to try to prop up the US Dollar!

    I gather Dick Cheyney is currently in hospital and for those who believe in gods is likely to get his grubby little come-uppance shortly - perhaps he could beckon for the rest!

    Regards,
    Greg_L-W.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida - Gunshine State
    Posts
    5,563
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 236 Times in 215 Posts

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lance-Watkins View Post
    There seem to be incredibly few Christians in America and a great deal of isolationist hatred founded on ignorance and propaganda but in a country where less than 15% have and have used a passport for travel beyond their borders one can not be surprised at their lack of understanding of world affairs or international relations.
    First of all you are wrong on the percentage of passports in the US like you are wrong on just about everything you post. There have been about 60 million passports issued in the US in the last ten years. There are no official sources because the government doesnít publish that stat but most sources say says it is about double the amount you cited which isnít bad considering we have oceans on each side and only in post 911 did we need a passport for Canada or Mexico.

    Americans travel abroad when they want to but they also like to stay at home because the rest of the world is a craphole for the most part. Who in the hell wants to travel when there are so many disgusting places to go in the world, including Europe? I have been to you country several times and it is boring as hell.

    The novelty of going to your country and visiting your museums and seeing the loot you plundered from the rest of the world wore off before I even graduated from high school.

    If you are trying to claim some kind of moral superiority over Brits traveling abroad you should see these sorry overweight big belly chumps walking around Disneyworld with their pasty white skins, cigarette stuck in their mouths and their obnoxious children crying about the heat. God forbid you get on the road with them while driving because they donít clue on how to drive safely or stay on the right side of the road.

    Americans donít give a crap about the rest of the world. The rest of the world are losers for the most part and traveling abroad to see the losers isnít as productive as a use of time as you seem to think it is.
    Libtards hate freedom unless it is the freedom to kill a child on demand for the sake of convenience. Otherwise they want the government to control every aspect of our lives.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CHEPSTOW-#8-NP165ET-MONMOUTHSHIRE
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    Hi,

    poor old flash has got more hangups than broadway theater coat checks!

    He tells us a more upto date number of passports sorry I overlooked all the Mexicans.

    Why not lock yourself in a cupboard it won't take you long to find a shelf to argue with!

    It must be terrible to have so little self confidence you have to prove every point.

    frankly I could care less if America has 10 passports each.

    Regards,
    Greg_L-W.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    Not that I support their acts, I think it's a bit rich of the world to so condemn these people so much when in Islamic countries flags and effigies of Western countries and people are burnt so often it's almost regular, without any condemnation, and with thousands of people attending, not just fringe psychos.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    953
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    Quote Originally Posted by 5K3PT1C View Post

    I have already made my position on Islam clear. I think it's open to abuse by extremists who claim to be able to use certain bits to justify the mass murder of non-muslims (or Muslims of the "wrong sort"), the oppression of women and other practices that should rightly horrify sensible, moral people. Although these practices are not condoned by the majority of Muslims throughout the world, Islam is covertly (and overtly) working it's way into the societies of non-muslim countries and I do worry that as time goes on we will start to feel a little overwhelmed to say the least.



    If blasting villages full of tribesmen with cruise missiles and attack helicopters wasn't enough of a propaganda boost for the Islamic extremists out there, "we" (by which I mean the western world) are going to burn their holy book. If the aim of this Christian group was to help to swell the ranks of Al Quaeda then bravo. "Behold, the actions of the West," they'll say, and lump us all in together!

    But of course, that's not what they're going for. Apparently it's a demonstration of "defiance" against radical Islam. Most pople in the western world think that burning bibles and American flags makes Muslims look stupid so why sink to that? It contradicts your claim that the US is the land of the free.

    MY ADVICE TO THOSE ORGANISING THIS EVENT:

    Use the publicity that this controversy has given you and say that you've cancelled the event because you're better than that - but wait until everyone is there and take a collection for comfort parcels to send to frontline soldiers. You'll get lots of money because everyone will be feeling fired up and patriotic. Then you'll have done some good rather than being controversial for the sake of it.
    Isn't glorifying certain bits from religious works the way that all religions carry on, not just Islam?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    5,935
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    First of all you are wrong on the percentage of passports in the US like you are wrong on just about everything you post. There have been about 60 million passports issued in the US in the last ten years. There are no official sources because the government doesnít publish that stat but most sources say says it is about double the amount you cited which isnít bad considering we have oceans on each side and only in post 911 did we need a passport for Canada or Mexico.

    Americans travel abroad when they want to but they also like to stay at home because the rest of the world is a craphole for the most part. Who in the hell wants to travel when there are so many disgusting places to go in the world, including Europe? I have been to you country several times and it is boring as hell.

    The novelty of going to your country and visiting your museums and seeing the loot you plundered from the rest of the world wore off before I even graduated from high school.

    If you are trying to claim some kind of moral superiority over Brits traveling abroad you should see these sorry overweight big belly chumps walking around Disneyworld with their pasty white skins, cigarette stuck in their mouths and their obnoxious children crying about the heat. God forbid you get on the road with them while driving because they donít clue on how to drive safely or stay on the right side of the road.

    Americans donít give a crap about the rest of the world. The rest of the world are losers for the most part and traveling abroad to see the losers isnít as productive as a use of time as you seem to think it is.
    There are people you can talk to you know, you don't have to go through this alone.

    This is just one of thousands of "crap holes" in the US. Maybe you should travel around your own country a little more before you bash other countries. There are quite a lot of countries around the world that were not "crap holes" until the US interfeared with them.



    Your assessment on Gregs comments about passport numbers in the US is misleading. The main reason for the increase in the last 9 years is because of restrictions implimented after 9/11. The majority of US passport holders use them to travel inside the American continent.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

    The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

    Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    5,935
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Burn a Koran Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lance-Watkins View Post
    in a country where less than 15% have and have used a passport for travel beyond their borders .
    .

    Don't say it like it's a bad thing
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

    The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

    Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

Similar Threads

  1. 11th September is Burn the Qur'an day
    By Barry in forum Religion, Faith and Spirituality
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •