Thread: BBC staff vote for strike over pension overhaul

Thanks

BBC staff vote for strike over pension overhaul

There has been much comment recently about the BBC paying its stars (and staff) too much. It follows that in common with all other aspects of employment that the attention has also been drawn to BBC staff pensions. The management proposals have been rejected by the trade union, which is ironic when you consider that they expect us, the unsuspecting public to go on supporting their gold-plated pension schemes?

BBC staff vote for strike over pension overhaul - Yahoo! News UK

Thanks

Re: BBC staff vote for strike over pension overhaul

I don't know what their pensions are like at the moment, the problem is that media and gen public always focus on the highly paid members of organisation X, if for instance the management proposals affect the management as well as the staff then I don't see any problem but if it's just the staff who will be facing the cut then I can understand their anger.
    The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryoden View Post
    I don't know what their pensions are like at the moment, the problem is that media and gen public always focus on the highly paid members of organisation X, if for instance the management proposals affect the management as well as the staff then I don't see any problem but if it's just the staff who will be facing the cut then I can understand their anger.
    That's a point ryoden!
    What concerned me when I read this item was that just about every other organisation in the country, (and notably private industry) has been agonising over how to afford the pension deficit. Even local authorities have been struggling with this, and not before time.
    So what makes the BBC union think they have a different case to make?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    That's a point ryoden!
    What concerned me when I read this item was that just about every other organisation in the country, (and notably private industry) has been agonising over how to afford the pension deficit. Even local authorities have been struggling with this, and not before time.
    So what makes the BBC union think they have a different case to make?
    Yes on the face of it the proposed action does seem rather churlish since we are all facing similar cuts. I work in the NHS and our trust has a target saving of 25 million (currently we are still in deficit of 7 million), they have axed 18 management posts and are still going (this needed to be done as we have became management heavy under Labour) but I don't know who will be next. Of course all our wages are frozen for 2 years minimum and we will have to work longer to get the same pension but as I said cuts need to be made.
    The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.