Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    British people will be allowed to leap immigrants in the queue for council houses under changes planned by the Government.

    Thousands of Eastern European citizens are given council houses every year, leapfrogging millions of Britons who languish on waiting lists.

    Some 4,000 homes were allocated to applicants from new members of the European Union such as Lithuania and Poland last year.

    Thousands more go to other European migrants and others non-British citizens, even though 1.8million are on the waiting list and the average wait is more than six years.

    Allocation is currently entirely 'needs based' but under changes planned by the Coalition, councils will be free to acknowledge ‘local connections’ in their policies.

    Housing minister Grant Shapps said: ‘It causes a great deal of concern and is very problematic for social cohesion when people find they aren’t provided with any preference when they are actually in the area they have lived in for a very long time.

    ‘People who have made contributions to the system deserve to benefit from the system.’

    Councils will consider 'the desire of local people' when they are deciding housing policy, he added.

    'We plan to provide more flexibility to local authorities to judge the proper criteria for the waiting list. Apart from a limited number of prescribed cases - homelessness, for example - there should be the flexibility to write your own housing allocation criteria.'

    The change will mean councils can consider different factors - such as how long a family has lived in the area - when allocating houses.

    But they will still have to give priority housing to the homeless, people with families and other needy groups.

    The full story available from : Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses | Mail Online

    About time the British got some priority too!!
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    I seen this today, what's more shocking is that there are 1.8 million people on the waiting list for houses!

  3. #3
    Major Sinic Guest

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    British people will be allowed to leap immigrants in the queue for council houses under changes planned by the Government.

    Thousands of Eastern European citizens are given council houses every year, leapfrogging millions of Britons who languish on waiting lists.

    Some 4,000 homes were allocated to applicants from new members of the European Union such as Lithuania and Poland last year.

    Thousands more go to other European migrants and others non-British citizens, even though 1.8million are on the waiting list and the average wait is more than six years.

    Allocation is currently entirely 'needs based' but under changes planned by the Coalition, councils will be free to acknowledge ‘local connections’ in their policies.

    Housing minister Grant Shapps said: ‘It causes a great deal of concern and is very problematic for social cohesion when people find they aren’t provided with any preference when they are actually in the area they have lived in for a very long time.

    ‘People who have made contributions to the system deserve to benefit from the system.’

    Councils will consider 'the desire of local people' when they are deciding housing policy, he added.

    'We plan to provide more flexibility to local authorities to judge the proper criteria for the waiting list. Apart from a limited number of prescribed cases - homelessness, for example - there should be the flexibility to write your own housing allocation criteria.'

    The change will mean councils can consider different factors - such as how long a family has lived in the area - when allocating houses.

    But they will still have to give priority housing to the homeless, people with families and other needy groups.

    The full story available from : Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses | Mail Online

    About time the British got some priority too!!
    I know it is early days with the Liberal Conservative Coalition and that consensus is never easy to achieve, but I am beginning to feel that politically the curtains have been drawn back in the Palace of Westminster, the windows opened, Alice in Labour's Wonderland has fled, and commonsense and greater justice are beginning to flow in.

    I am fully in favour of this type of policy. We may currently have little choice about accepting immigrants from the EU, particularly Eastern Europe, but at least if we have a government which ensures that we are no longer a soft touch, a proportion at least will think twice about coming here.

    It is only fair that local British families receive subsidised housing paid for by the long suffering British taxpayer, before those from other countries who do not form part of our society.

  4. #4
    Major Sinic Guest

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    Quote Originally Posted by crazylilting View Post
    I seen this today, what's more shocking is that there are 1.8 million people on the waiting list for houses!
    I do suspect that a very substantial number have no real need of subsidised council housing, but see it as part of our 'something for nothing' society. All subsidised housing should be means tested, although preference should as a matter of policy go to British citizens in need.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    British people will be allowed to leap immigrants in the queue for council houses under changes planned by the Government.

    Thousands of Eastern European citizens are given council houses every year, leapfrogging millions of Britons who languish on waiting lists.

    Some 4,000 homes were allocated to applicants from new members of the European Union such as Lithuania and Poland last year.

    Thousands more go to other European migrants and others non-British citizens, even though 1.8million are on the waiting list and the average wait is more than six years.

    Allocation is currently entirely 'needs based' but under changes planned by the Coalition, councils will be free to acknowledge ‘local connections’ in their policies.

    Housing minister Grant Shapps said: ‘It causes a great deal of concern and is very problematic for social cohesion when people find they aren’t provided with any preference when they are actually in the area they have lived in for a very long time.

    ‘People who have made contributions to the system deserve to benefit from the system.’

    Councils will consider 'the desire of local people' when they are deciding housing policy, he added.

    'We plan to provide more flexibility to local authorities to judge the proper criteria for the waiting list. Apart from a limited number of prescribed cases - homelessness, for example - there should be the flexibility to write your own housing allocation criteria.'

    The change will mean councils can consider different factors - such as how long a family has lived in the area - when allocating houses.

    But they will still have to give priority housing to the homeless, people with families and other needy groups.

    The full story available from : Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses | Mail Online

    About time the British got some priority too!!
    It's crazy mate, please come and see ireland and see how it's done, the non-eu has been eliminated and if one even manage to get one, the problem they face, the council will even dictate who enters the house who does not, and to crown it all, the blacks is often been threatened with eviction, from God knows where they get there complaint from, and at the end of the day, what is council house ?

    Where is the book of evidence pay as you go ?
    Reality and Proof can make a for the fixed Rule customs and principle. And Cloud Nile

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    British people will be allowed to leap immigrants in the queue for council houses under changes planned by the Government.

    Thousands of Eastern European citizens are given council houses every year, leapfrogging millions of Britons who languish on waiting lists.

    Some 4,000 homes were allocated to applicants from new members of the European Union such as Lithuania and Poland last year.

    Thousands more go to other European migrants and others non-British citizens, even though 1.8million are on the waiting list and the average wait is more than six years.

    Allocation is currently entirely 'needs based' but under changes planned by the Coalition, councils will be free to acknowledge ‘local connections’ in their policies.

    Housing minister Grant Shapps said: ‘It causes a great deal of concern and is very problematic for social cohesion when people find they aren’t provided with any preference when they are actually in the area they have lived in for a very long time.

    ‘People who have made contributions to the system deserve to benefit from the system.’

    Councils will consider 'the desire of local people' when they are deciding housing policy, he added.

    'We plan to provide more flexibility to local authorities to judge the proper criteria for the waiting list. Apart from a limited number of prescribed cases - homelessness, for example - there should be the flexibility to write your own housing allocation criteria.'

    The change will mean councils can consider different factors - such as how long a family has lived in the area - when allocating houses.

    But they will still have to give priority housing to the homeless, people with families and other needy groups.

    The full story available from : Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses | Mail Online

    About time the British got some priority too!!
    About time too! What took the coalition so long?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    The present system of ''you dont like it you leave our country'' in ireland after the european union struck down their right of who stay who remain of L & O case of the supreme court of ireland, they inject another zionist system of one blacks per council estates but no limitation of e.u citizens per estate, and the blacks that are offered the almighty council houses is that, the non-eu are not entitled to pay their rent with house benefit while irish has that right, can you imagine ?
    Reality and Proof can make a for the fixed Rule customs and principle. And Cloud Nile

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    Quote Originally Posted by angelcountry View Post
    The present system of ''you dont like it you leave our country'' in ireland after the european union struck down their right of who stay who remain of L & O case of the supreme court of ireland, they inject another zionist system of one blacks per council estates but no limitation of e.u citizens per estate, and the blacks that are offered the almighty council houses is that, the non-eu are not entitled to pay their rent with house benefit while irish has that right, can you imagine ?
    Discrimination or rationing using colour as a basis for providing housing is completely unfair given that any other requirements are satisfied, however I'm in total agreement with the government's stance of "if you don't like it, you can leave", enforced where necessary! I just wish it could apply to many EU immigrants too, regardless of whether they're applying for council housing or not.
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    Discrimination or rationing using colour as a basis for providing housing is completely unfair given that any other requirements are satisfied, however I'm in total agreement with the government's stance of "if you don't like it, you can leave", enforced where necessary! I just wish it could apply to many EU immigrants too, regardless of whether they're applying for council housing or not.
    Midas the lord diplock and snear,

    I think it depend's on the aspect of our daily life that you're actually talking about, that says 'You dont like it, you leave our country''.
    Cozz you could not ignite inferances of your own contrary to the statute or law, and you want to use excessive force to imbibe it with immigrant, i mean, it has no way atall anytime you try it.
    Reality and Proof can make a for the fixed Rule customs and principle. And Cloud Nile

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Locals to be given priority over immigrants in queue for council houses

    mmmmm how is this legal?

    But they will still have to give priority housing to the homeless, people with families and other needy groups
    Oh, so a family of roma gypsies or somalian asylum seekers with seven kids will still jump the queue? And arent most people who arrive on these shores from eastern Europe in particular, homeless? This is just more nonsense from the conservatives. People should be very wary of the conservatives as a pro British party. They are nothing of the sort.
    Vote BNP

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-12-2010, 11:04 AM
  2. Immigrants given preference over squaddies for council housing
    By Nicholas in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
  3. Poor children at the back of the queue for good schools says Barnardos
    By soloman in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 31-08-2010, 10:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •