Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Keep Cornwall Whole!

Thanks

Keep Cornwall Whole!

Details of the campaign to protect Cornwall's territorial integrity can be found here: The Cornish Republican: Keep Cornwall Whole!

No to Devonwall! The only region for Cornwall is Cornwall!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Keep Cornwall Whole!

I lived in Cornwall for 10 years, near Falmouth. I now live in Devon. The suggestion that Cornwalls identity is under threat from Devon, or the government is ludicrous. Cornwall does extremely well out of the money spent by visitors from the rest of the country. And perhaps you could tell some of your Cornish republican freinds to stop defacing bridges, cliff faces, and road signs with their graffiti.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthkrist View Post
    Details of the campaign to protect Cornwall's territorial integrity can be found here: The Cornish Republican: Keep Cornwall Whole!

Are you going to ask for protection status for cornish pasties from the european union?
    Vote BNP

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Are you going to ask for protection status for cornish pasties from the european union?
    They already have it. The exact same product here in Devon is just called a Pasty, it's not allowed to be called Cornish unless it's made there.
    Who cares anyway, it's not exactly a delicacy to be proud of is it. Have you eaten one? Have you seen the levels of obsiety in Cornwall? Pasties ain't good for you.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

Midas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
    They already have it. The exact same product here in Devon is just called a Pasty, it's not allowed to be called Cornish unless it's made there.
    Who cares anyway, it's not exactly a delicacy to be proud of is it. Have you eaten one? Have you seen the levels of obsiety in Cornwall? Pasties ain't good for you.
    A bit of useless information, but pasties were one of the original fast foods. They used to have a meat and potato filling for about 2/3 of their length and a jam or fruit filling for the remainder, so that they were main course and desert in one pastry case. The thick rib running along the top where the pastry is joined wasn't originally meant to be eaten but was there so the tin miners could hold the pasty with filthy hands, keeping the rest of it clean and edible.

Thanks

I live in Melton mowbray and we have the same for the melton mowbray pork pie. Yeah i love cornish pasties btw if the pastry is done right. Yum Yum !
    Vote BNP

Thanks

So you support the right of self determination for one people but not another?

Where have I suggested that Cornwall's identity is under threat from Devon? Oh that's right...I haven't. What is being suggested is that Cornwall should not be administratively merged with Devonshire. I think an autonomous Cornwall would also attract just the same amount of tourists, perhaps more.

For the arguments to protect Cornwall's integrity you can't do much better than here:

i) The East of Cornwall is made up entirely up small towns and rural areas, in direct contrast to the City of Plymouth in particular. Indeed only Bodmin and Saltash have populations of over 15,000, and none over 20,000. Even compared to small towns and rural areas in West Devon the nature of the towns is quite different to even the casual observer.

ii) The Office of National Statistics agreed in 1998 “the separation of Devon and Cornwall into two separate areas, recognising the very different economic conditions of the two counties, and Cornwall’s sparsity of population, geographical peripherality and distinct cultural and historical factors reflecting a Celtic background”

iii) Furthermore, prior to the implementation or Proportional Representation for European Parliamentary Elections, the Flather Report from the EU Parliamentary Commission acknowledged the Cornish case to be a separate constituency from ‘West Plymouth’, citing ‘special geographical considerations’.

iv) Other arrangements that recognise the distinctiveness of Devon from Cornwall include the local government boundaries, diocesan boundary, PCT boundary, the structures of a great many voluntary and charitable organisations, and European regional funding.

v) The Cornish Language and the Cornish Gorsedd are two obvious examples of historical and cultural distinctiveness. That Language is protected under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages, which amongst it’s provisions states that

7.1 In respect of regional or minority languages, within the territories in which such languages are used and according to the situation of each language, the Parties shall base their policies, legislation and practice on the following objectives and principles:

the respect of the geographical area of each regional or minority language in order to ensure that existing or new administrative divisions do not constitute an obstacle to the promotion of the regional or minority language in question;
    vi) The European Convergence Funding alluded to above, as well as previous Objective One Funding, clearly demonstrates that Cornwall as a whole faces different economic issues to Devon. These are issues judged worthy of special funding intervention from the European Union, which treated Cornwall as a region in it’s own right.

vii) It has been an accepted principal of ethnic categorisation in recent years that people are of the ethnic background that they identify themselves as. A simple survey of residents from all over Cornwall would demonstrate that many consider themselves to be Cornish as well as British, and with a very clear geographical area to accompany that identity.

In summary we argue that to join parts of Cornwall to parts of Devon for Parliamentary purposes would clearly go not only across local boundaries, but also across regional boundaries – some would argue across national boundaries. We understand that the total number of electors in Cornwall for purpose of this review is approximately 419,000: with 6 parliamentary seats this would give an average of 69,833 – a fraction under the minimum number being considered of 70,000.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

One only has to look at the disaster of devolution elsewhere to see it would be a disaster for Cornwall as well. Cornwall can berely raise enough revenue in council tax to run it's local authority, let alone devolve and self govern.
    Much is made of how the Cornish want to protect their ancient language........do they really? In the 10 years I lived there I never heard anyone speak it.

Thanks

One only has to look at the disaster of devolution elsewhere to see it would be a disaster for Cornwall as well. Cornwall can berely raise enough revenue in council tax to run it's local authority, let alone devolve and self govern.
    Much is made of how the Cornish want to protect their ancient language........do they really? In the 10 years I lived there I never heard anyone speak it.
    Oh must have missed that disaster. Seeing as decentralisation, regional autonomy and federalism have been gaining ground and are generally seen as basics in any good democracy perhaps you need to think a little more about the subject. Can we have some statistic on Cornwall economy then please?

You strike me as someone who has little time for national minorities and minority languages from within your own state (they should just shut up, get with the programme and become English perhaps), but you are quite happy to defend the Palestinians or Tibetans cultural rights. For this reason it doesn't surprise me that you know or have heard little of Cornish. Perhaps you could visit our new bilingual pre-school and express your dislike of UK minority languages to the children there.

Yeti Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthkrist View Post

Just what we need another level of expensive bureaucracy we can't afford and none really wants.

How about we keep the whole figging country whole, Rule Britannia, GB etc etc.