Thread: One in ten dentists now earns more than prime minister

soloman Guest

One in ten dentists now earns more than prime minister

Is that what we all expected to be the situation?

One in 10 dentists now earn more than Prime Minister as 400 break 300,000 barrier | Mail Online

The last Labour government gave doctors a ridiculous increase in pay a few years back; as a result they stopped looking after us out of normal hours.
    Immediately the dentists (and vets actually) thought they were badly done by and have continued increasing their charges and refusing NHS work.

How do we put this right now?

Thanks

Re: One in ten dentists now earns more than prime minister

The government has to legislate that all dentists have to accept NHS patients, its that simple. Private dental charges are scandalous. I went to see a dentist privately because i could not find a NHS dentist close enough to where i live. It was 45 quid just to see him and he quoted me a price of 700 quid for 2 fillings and a crown. How could any working class man with a family ever afford such a sum? Labour changed how dentists could charge a few years ago and that meant that most Dentists went private because the policy hit the dentists in the pocket.
    Vote BNP

crazylilting Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    The government has to legislate that all dentists have to accept NHS patients, its that simple. Private dental charges are scandalous. I went to see a dentist privately because i could not find a NHS dentist close enough to where i live. It was 45 quid just to see him and he quoted me a price of 700 quid for 2 fillings and a crown. How could any working class man with a family ever afford such a sum? Labour changed how dentists could charge a few years ago and that meant that most Dentists went private because the policy hit the dentists in the pocket.
    Being from Canada, i find dentists less expensive here then there. In the three years i've been here i've been able to get the few things i needed done to my teeth for a couple hundred quid. In canada i was afraid to even go and visit a dentist because of the cost. Non of the dentists in Canada work for the public health system at all and i doubt there will ever be such a thing. I don't think people here know just how lucky they are.

They have notoriously been a high paid profession and rightly so they pay to go to school for 8 years of university and then pay hundreds of thousands of pounds for the equipment to do their job. That being said i went to see one on an emergency basis through NHS and will never go to the NHS one's again. I'll pay for a private one.

soloman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazylilting View Post
    Being from Canada, i find dentists less expensive here then there. In the three years i've been here i've been able to get the few things i needed done to my teeth for a couple hundred quid. In canada i was afraid to even go and visit a dentist because of the cost. Non of the dentists in Canada work for the public health system at all and i doubt there will ever be such a thing. I don't think people here know just how lucky they are.

They have notoriously been a high paid profession and rightly so they pay to go to school for 8 years of university and then pay hundreds of thousands of pounds for the equipment to do their job. That being said i went to see one on an emergency basis through NHS and will never go to the NHS one's again. I'll pay for a private one.
    Your comment here is contradictory. For example - I don't think people here know just how lucky they are. Followed by - That being said i went to see one on an emergency basis through NHS and will never go to the NHS one's again. I'll pay for a private one.
    For me, I have been very spoilt for 30 years by having a personal friend who was a Harley Street dentist, and who frankly charged fees which I could never have otherwise afforded. Now that he has passed on, and I having moved home in the last few years, I have tried several different NHS dentists. The first in the Midlands was British, immediately out of training and top class. Since then trying to find NHS dentists in the south-west is difficult, and my present one trained in Sweden but herself from Iran has little knowledge of English and I have only attended for check-ups, and not taken up the treatment she proposed. Fortuitously while on holiday in Goa 2 years ago, I discovered several people in our hotel were there for dental treatment; in one case the individual was undergoing extensive restructuring of poor dental work carried out in England. All this carried out at high quality by an Indian lady dentist speaking perfect English and charging under one quarter of the private charges here. I had a checkup with her who advised that the dental work my NHS dentist had proposed was not appropriate at that time. Subsequently my front dental bridge broke while on holiday in Spain this Spring, resulted in my paying privately for a repair which was less than one third of the charges quoted here in England by a private dentist.
    I believe many people are throughly fed up with the lack of consistent quality provision available on the NHS; this is something the coalition needs to address with some urgency. They may well decide they cannot afford to improve what is offered by the NHS; in which case they need to make that fact abundantly clear rather than local health authorities taking on dentists who are unable to communicate with their patients and not taking adequate steps to ensure the quality of those they employ.

crazylilting Guest

It's not a contradiction at all. The private dentists are cheaper here. The NHS one i went to see was complete rubbish. I didn't say we were lucky to have NHS dentists. I think they should either train them or get rid of them to be honest, but i'm sure it has a lot to do with how much the NHS pays them. I live in North Wales but my private Dentist is in Evesham. I have been to several private dentists in north wales but I did not see them as professional enough. My partners parents live in Broadway so we go to the dentist when we visit, the dentist there is great.

Thanks

That's capitalism for you, they can charge as much as the market will bear. There is obviously to high a demand for too few dentists, there should be more provision for them taking on NHS patients though. I am lucky enough to still be with an NHS dentist surgery and although I have seen 4 different dentists over the past 5 years they have all been fine (not that I have had anything more than a filling years back).
    The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryoden View Post
    That's capitalism for you, they can charge as much as the market will bear. There is obviously to high a demand for too few dentists, there should be more provision for them taking on NHS patients though. I am lucky enough to still be with an NHS dentist surgery and although I have seen 4 different dentists over the past 5 years they have all been fine (not that I have had anything more than a filling years back).
    I agree it is capitalism, but it is obscene that we pay our prime minister so little.

Major Sinic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    You appear to have picked a particularly expensive dentist. I attend my dentist on a private basis, and a consultation is 30.00, a white filling typically 55 to 75 and a crown from 175. However if, for instance, you require complicated and expensive root canal work, you must expect to pay for it. I am so sorry that you couldn't find a NHS dentist suitably located for your convenience. Perhaps in these difficult economic times you should be prepared to travel a little further for your taxpayer subsidised care.

It continues to amaze me that people still seem to expect the government to conjure resources out of thin air to pay for every aspect of their personal care from the cradle to the grave. Even the most dim witted of our citizens should be able to realise that the gravy train is derailed, and personal responsibility is the new order of the day.