Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: A man with a guilty conscience

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    A man with a guilty conscience

    Tony Blair was last night accused of offering ‘blood money’ to ex-servicemen by diverting the cash from his memoirs to help injured soldiers.

    Relatives of those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan said the former Prime Minister was trying to ‘ease his conscience’ by giving the £4.6million advance and any profits from his book to the Royal British Legion.

    The money from the £25 book, A Journey, will go towards a sports centre for wounded soldiers, sailors and airmen to ‘honour their sacrifice’, said Mr Blair.



    Read more: Tony Blair pledges proceeds from his memoirs to the Royal British Legion | Mail Online

    Is this out and out guilt? or a genuine gesture to our brave boys and girls who fought on the front line?
    Vote BNP

  2. #2
    Balthazar Guest

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Is this out and out guilt? or a genuine gesture to our brave boys and girls who fought on the front line?
    Neither. It's a sign that the Blair bank account is now so stuffed they can't fit in any more cash. I just wish the Legion was rich enough to raise two fingers at him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Tony Blair was last night accused of offering ‘blood money’ to ex-servicemen by diverting the cash from his memoirs to help injured soldiers.

    Relatives of those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan said the former Prime Minister was trying to ‘ease his conscience’ by giving the £4.6million advance and any profits from his book to the Royal British Legion.

    The money from the £25 book, A Journey, will go towards a sports centre for wounded soldiers, sailors and airmen to ‘honour their sacrifice’, said Mr Blair.

    Read more: Tony Blair pledges proceeds from his memoirs to the Royal British Legion | Mail Online

    Is this out and out guilt? or a genuine gesture to our brave boys and girls who fought on the front line?
    Given that it was Blair who took us into the Iraq war based on lies and deceit, I'd hazard a guess that a guilty conscience plays a considerable part in this.
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South UK
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    I doubt it's guilt, the man talks to God so he probably believes whatever he does is right like so many other zealots. No it's probably a cunning marketing ploy, since if the public see that x% goes to charity then they are more likely to buy it, if it's successful enough then he may actually make more money than he would have by giving the percentage. Even if he doesnt then he raises his profile in the eyes of some, also it's free publicity.

    If he offered to give the entire proceeds to charity then I would be more inclined to believe that it was guilt and/or contrition.
    The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    Quote Originally Posted by ryoden View Post
    If he offered to give the entire proceeds to charity then I would be more inclined to believe that it was guilt and/or contrition.
    I thought that was the case, based on the newspaper reports where it said "...... by giving the £4.6million advance and any profits from his book to the Royal British Legion."
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South UK
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    I thought that was the case, based on the newspaper reports where it said "...... by giving the £4.6million advance and any profits from his book to the Royal British Legion."
    Whoops, sorry I misread the quote. I focussed on the advance and mised the profit bit (I will blame the wife yelling at me to catch the cat to take to the vet before it escaped into the garden as opposed to my failing perception). In which case I am willing to believe it's possibly guilt.
    The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    5,935
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    I suspect it's a publicity stunt to make him appear bonevolent. The truth is he shouldn't be able to give money to anyone, he should be rotting in prison for his numerous war crimes, lying to parliament and the electorate.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

    The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

    Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pixels on your screen
    Posts
    6,687
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 950 Times in 699 Posts

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
    I suspect it's a publicity stunt to make him appear bonevolent. The truth is he shouldn't be able to give money to anyone, he should be rotting in prison for his numerous war crimes, lying to parliament and the electorate.
    Yeah, but that isn't going to happen, so the RBL might just as well have the money.
    Is there anything that he could have done with the money to keep forummers happy?
    No, I didn't think so.
    Save us all £22,000,000 a day. Leave the EU.

  9. #9
    Major Sinic Guest

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Tony Blair was last night accused of offering ‘blood money’ to ex-servicemen by diverting the cash from his memoirs to help injured soldiers.

    Relatives of those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan said the former Prime Minister was trying to ‘ease his conscience’ by giving the £4.6million advance and any profits from his book to the Royal British Legion.

    The money from the £25 book, A Journey, will go towards a sports centre for wounded soldiers, sailors and airmen to ‘honour their sacrifice’, said Mr Blair.



    Read more: Tony Blair pledges proceeds from his memoirs to the Royal British Legion | Mail Online

    Is this out and out guilt? or a genuine gesture to our brave boys and girls who fought on the front line?
    I don't believe Tony Blair has a conscience so it is hardly likely to be prompted by guilt. I suspect that the reality is that with a reputed annual income exceeding £14m, he sees this as nothing but a very affordable PR exercise and possibly an attempt to improve posterity's judgement. It will in all probability increase sales of the book to people who would be unwilling to enrich the Blairs by so much as one penny, but would be only too happy to contribute to the RBL. This will probably enable him to conclude a more remunerative publishing deal on his next book and possibly other media rights on this one.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In a pub
    Posts
    7,514
    Thanks
    737
    Thanked 759 Times in 585 Posts

    Re: A man with a guilty conscience

    The RBL is a registered charity so I guess it will be wangled as a tax right off. He hasn't in effect given away anything but gained some valuable publicity.

Similar Threads

  1. Innocent till proved guilty
    By cromwell in forum Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •