Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Immigration has Damaged Employment Prospects for British Workers

Thanks

Immigration has Damaged Employment Prospects for British Workers

The mass immigration of the past decade has damaged the employment opportunities of UK born workers in the areas most affected. This is the conclusion of a new study, from think-tank Migrationwatch, (see Briefing Paper 3.10) issued on the eve of new unemployment figures due out on August 12. It has conducted the first comparison of labour market conditions in the 50 Local Authorities with the highest international immigration with conditions in the 50 with the lowest.

It shows conclusively that areas of the UK that have experienced the highest levels of immigration have higher unemployment levels than areas that have not. The study also shows that employment rates in these areas are lower compared with areas that have received comparatively little immigration from overseas...

MigrationWatchUK

Isnt it time we closed our open border policy with Europe. In times of high unemployment it seems the sensible thing to do.
    Vote BNP

Major Sinic Guest

Re: Immigration has Damaged Employment Prospects for British Workers

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    The mass immigration of the past decade has damaged the employment opportunities of UK born workers in the areas most affected. This is the conclusion of a new study, from think-tank Migrationwatch, (see Briefing Paper 3.10) issued on the eve of new unemployment figures due out on August 12. It has conducted the first comparison of labour market conditions in the 50 Local Authorities with the highest international immigration with conditions in the 50 with the lowest.

It shows conclusively that areas of the UK that have experienced the highest levels of immigration have higher unemployment levels than areas that have not. The study also shows that employment rates in these areas are lower compared with areas that have received comparatively little immigration from overseas...

MigrationWatchUK

Isnt it time we closed our open border policy with Europe. In times of high unemployment it seems the sensible thing to do.
    I think it is inevitable that unemployment has increased throughout the whole of Europe, and whilst I think our government should always put the interests of those to whom Britain is their legitimate home first, I do wonder just how many Brits are living and working abroad in other European countries, enjoying the same right to work as European immigrants to Britain.

As a point of interest four out of five of the 180,000 or so new jobs in Britain over the last three months went to immigrants, of which around half were from member countries of the EU.

crazylilting Guest

If we are to tackle the immigration issue we have to look at what jobs the migrants are doing, how much they are being paid, and why they came from their own country to do these menial jobs here for so little money.

I think part of the problem is our minimum wage. From what i can tell the minimum wage is lower then the poverty level. But that being said there is the issue that if the minimum wage were to increase then some businesses would no longer be viable.

I know from doing a renovation where some polish people lived while they were working here, they racked up visa and mastercard accounts applied for child tax credits for children that weren't here stole toilet paper and other household items from local businesses and the list goes on. But this was just one case. who knows what it is like on a national level.

I believe we need to tackle this issue as well but not from a racist point of view just to make it clear.

Major Sinic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazylilting View Post
    If we are to tackle the immigration issue we have to look at what jobs the migrants are doing, how much they are being paid, and why they came from their own country to do these menial jobs here for so little money.

I think part of the problem is our minimum wage. From what i can tell the minimum wage is lower then the poverty level. But that being said there is the issue that if the minimum wage were to increase then some businesses would no longer be viable.

I know from doing a renovation where some polish people lived while they were working here, they racked up visa and mastercard accounts applied for child tax credits for children that weren't here stole toilet paper and other household items from local businesses and the list goes on. But this was just one case. who knows what it is like on a national level.

I believe we need to tackle this issue as well but not from a racist point of view just to make it clear.
    When a benefits system is wide open to abuse, there will always be those who are only too prepared to abuse it. In addition to the abuses you mention, many are paid in cash and pay no income tax or NI. Another problem of immigrant workers is that as much money as they can is sent 'home' and therefore contributes nothing to our own economy.

I think the immigration problem has become of sufficient concern that it can now be widely discussed, without inviting the previously inevitable accusation of racism.

Midas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    When a benefits system is wide open to abuse, there will always be those who are only too prepared to abuse it. In addition to the abuses you mention, many are paid in cash and pay no income tax or NI. Another problem of immigrant workers is that as much money as they can is sent 'home' and therefore contributes nothing to our own economy.

I think the immigration problem has become of sufficient concern that it can now be widely discussed, without inviting the previously inevitable accusation of racism.
    Quite agreed, however one other aspect of immigration which I think needs to be taken into account is that of the standard and quality of work done by many in comparison to British workers. It's my own direct experience, and that of a considerable number of people I know, that many immigrant workers, in particular those from Eastern Europe, India and the Far East, are better qualified and have a better work ethic than many of their British counterparts. Until that particular issue is addressed and the average British worker's attitude and ability improves it's only natural that employers will chose the best person for the job, and if that person happens to be an immigrant, so be it. We had this situation many times at my last company, and whilst we (the Board) would have far preferred to give jobs to British people, from a commercial point of view that wasn't economic in many instances; I'd estimate we had around 40% of non-British people on our payroll of up to 350 employees.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    Quite agreed, however one other aspect of immigration which I think needs to be taken into account is that of the standard and quality of work done by many in comparison to British workers. It's my own direct experience, and that of a considerable number of people I know, that many immigrant workers, in particular those from Eastern Europe, India and the Far East, are better qualified and have a better work ethic than many of their British counterparts. Until that particular issue is addressed and the average British worker's attitude and ability improves it's only natural that employers will chose the best person for the job, and if that person happens to be an immigrant, so be it. We had this situation many times at my last company, and whilst we (the Board) would have far preferred to give jobs to British people, from a commercial point of view that wasn't economic in many instances; I'd estimate we had around 40% of non-British people on our payroll of up to 350 employees.
    And this post just typifies how 'Brits' like yourself (if indeed you are one ) are all to ready to stick the knife into your fellow citizens backs. No wonder this country is going down the pan. If i had to say call west indians, pakistanis or Indians lazy , poorly educated , lacking in ability and work ethic you would probably be jumping up and down calling me xenophobic at best or in the great left liberl tradition, a racist.

the average British worker is sought after the world over. Our plumbers, electricians , nurses and other trades people are constantly being enticed by Australia, Canada, South Africa and a plethora of other countries. We cant be that bad can we? The fact is that immigration is harming our country - muslims for example are twice more likely not to find employment than indigenous Brits. Indigenous brits pay their taxes here their whole lives and contribute to our society in many other ways but find when they go for a job interview they have just been beaten to it by five poles who will work for half the price and are probably ten years younger. ( And these poles are probably living ten in a house so they dont need a livable wage like us Brits do!). Unemployment in this country is at disastrous levels - yet we still have open borders? We still throw money at immigrants when they are not in employment? We still push indigenous britains to the back of the housing queue if Annitta from Warsaw has six kids or Mohammed from Somalia cant find a job.

For last thirteen years we have been run by the anti british brigade called the Labour party. I just hope and pray that the conservatives actually start being pro british and start trumpetting the positives of our people and our country. I dont hold out much hope though.

Poles, pakistanis and indians are not better workers on the whole - they are just cheap.
    Vote BNP

crazylilting Guest

And this post just typifies how 'Brits' like yourself (if indeed you are one ) are all to ready to stick the knife into your fellow citizens backs. No wonder this country is going down the pan. If i had to say call west indians, pakistanis or Indians lazy , poorly educated , lacking in ability and work ethic you would probably be jumping up and down calling me xenophobic at best or in the great left liberl tradition, a racist.

the average British worker is sought after the world over. Our plumbers, electricians , nurses and other trades people are constantly being enticed by Australia, Canada, South Africa and a plethora of other countries. We cant be that bad can we? The fact is that immigration is harming our country - muslims for example are twice more likely not to find employment than indigenous Brits. Indigenous brits pay their taxes here their whole lives and contribute to our society in many other ways but find when they go for a job interview they have just been beaten to it by five poles who will work for half the price and are probably ten years younger. ( And these poles are probably living ten in a house so they dont need a livable wage like us Brits do!). Unemployment in this country is at disastrous levels - yet we still have open borders? We still throw money at immigrants when they are not in employment? We still push indigenous britains to the back of the housing queue if Annitta from Warsaw has six kids or Mohammed from Somalia cant find a job.

For last thirteen years we have been run by the anti british brigade called the Labour party. I just hope and pray that the conservatives actually start being pro british and start trumpetting the positives of our people and our country. I dont hold out much hope though.

Poles, pakistanis and indians are not better workers on the whole - they are just cheap.
    Immigration is a fact that we cannot get around as we are part of the European Union, correct me if i'm wrong? We can limit Immigration from outside of the European Union, but when we actually need skilled people this is where we can attract the skills we need. As far as people just showing up and deciding they want benefits there should be rules against this. I Immigrated or came back to the UK from Canada. As far as I understand it I wouldn't of been able to claim any benefits for my first three years in the UK, not that i looked into it, but i did look into education and couldn't get any unless i paid huge amounts of money.

So i don't understand how anyone from the EU could just show up and start collecting off the Government.

When i lived in Canada I worked for a big Joinery company and we did actively recruit people from the UK. My job was training them. They were not very good joiners at all. They talked the talk but when it came down to it they had to be retrained almost entirely to do the most common jobs of a joiner. They also had this attitude of entitlement that needed to be dealt with as well. In canada you work you get paid, a simple concept. Here in the UK workers seem to have a pace, like they are saving themselves for the gym or something. They don't want to put in an honest days work as this might encroach on their leisure time....

I can see why big firms would hire Immigrants quite frankly. I have a small business and would like to hire an apprentice, but with the way the employment standards are I will not hire anyone. Not until this entitlement mentality has been dealt with. I never thought of using Immigrant workers, perhaps i might look into it more. As far as Indigenous people paying their taxes I'm not so sure if i believe that. We seem to take more then we give or we wouldn't be in as much debt as we currently are.

Midas Guest

I'm half British, half Australian as it happens, but the UK has been my home for many years. I look at this from a purely pragmatic perspective, and I certainly wouldn't be calling you xenophobic if you said that; nearly 30 years as an employer has shown me that there are indeed certain ethnic groups who have a far better work ethic than others, as well as different intelligence levels and a far greater aptitude for certain types of work.

We're perhaps looking at this from different perspectives. As an employer, with rare exceptions I'm only concerned with people who live within travelling distance of our business, whereas governments like that of Australia who are indeed enticing Brits over there have the pick of the most willing from the whole of the country, who not only want a job but a whole different way of life. It's a very different situation, and if the demographics in my region dictate that many immigrants have a better worth ethic than many Brits, from a commercial point of view I'll take them all other things being equal. As I said, we'd love to be able to prioritise British workers, but we can't legally and it's not in our commercial interests to do so if the ones who apply to us for work are inferior in any way; it's pure pragmatism. However saying that I do think there should be very significant curbs on immigration, a great increase in the number of deportations of illegal immigrants and those found guilty of a serious crime, and perhaps a repatriation scheme for those people who meet certain criteria.

I'm not going to disagree with you over the first paragraph. However I would disagree on the cheapness aspect. Obviously it depends on the industry sector you're talking about but most employers I know pay exactly the same for any worker of the same skill level doing the same job, regardless of their ethnicity. Yes, there are some jobs where wages are low and where there are a preponderance of immigrant workers, but to a large degree that's because their expectations of a standard of living are lower than that of most Brits, and they're still earning considerably more than they would do if back in their own countries.

Thanks

Yes immigration has damaged the employment prospects of British workers. Not only that but they have damaged our earning potential and standard of living as well.They as previously mentioned work for low wages thus driving down the rates for everyone and overburden our social services .I have personally found forign workers to be hard working while at the same time pretty usless .

Major mentions Brits working abroad . Yes we do but not on the scale we have here in the UK.We dont just turn up in forign fields and start looking for work we go abroard on contracts and when the jobs finnished we come home.

Major Sinic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Yes immigration has damaged the employment prospects of British workers. Not only that but they have damaged our earning potential and standard of living as well.They as previously mentioned work for low wages thus driving down the rates for everyone and overburden our social services .I have personally found forign workers to be hard working while at the same time pretty usless .

Major mentions Brits working abroad . Yes we do but not on the scale we have here in the UK.We dont just turn up in forign fields and start looking for work we go abroard on contracts and when the jobs finnished we come home.
    Just to put a little more meat on the bone. According to the IPPR (Inst.of Public Policy Research) approximately 5.5m British born citizens permanently live abroad, or almost one in ten of the population. This of course includes retirees as well as workers. In addition an estimated further half a million work and live abroad but are still UK domiciled, which indicates a likelihood of return. On average over the last forty years 67,400 more British born citizens have left the UK each year than have returned. These figures are heavily masked by the immigration of non-British nationals. In 2007, 107000 British born nationals left, but an estimated 300,000 non-British nationals arrived legitimately (according to migrationwatchUK).

Whilst I fully agree with your view that excessive immigration has had a substantial detrimental effect on the employment of British nationals, I am not convinced that they have driven down earnings to such a great extent as you imply. I think it is rather a case that the immigrants tend to take the lowest status and lowest paid jobs, often jobs that the some British won't take because they can obtain more by abusing a poorly regulated and monitored benefits system.

I am fully in favour of a system of immigration control which denies the right of long term residency to foreign nationals (and were it legally possible I would include EU citizens) unless they can support themselves for a minimum of say five years and employment for such immigrants is restricted to jobs where a British born citizen is not comparably qualified. Countries like Australia and the USA, have got it right with immigration controls as far as I am concerned. Indeed I understand that India and China are introducing increasingly demanding immigration controls