Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 19th Century Working Men's Club to be turned into Mosque

Thanks

Angry 19th Century Working Men's Club to be turned into Mosque

PLANS to transform Swindonís oldest working menís club into a Muslim place of worship will be decided tonight.

The proposal, to turn the Gorse Hill Working Men's Club into a meeting point for the Al Habib Islamic Educational and Cultural Centre of Swindon was initially submitted last year but was later withdrawn after officers asked for more information.

Last year more than 260 people lodged their objection to the scheme fearing the transformation of the Chapel Street club, which was built in the 1880s, would cause traffic problems and an increase in noise

Plans for Islamic centre to be discussed (From Swindon Advertiser)

Another piece taken away from our heritage. Disgraceful !!
    Vote BNP

crazylilting Guest

Re: 19th Century Working Men's Club to be turned into Mosque

it was for sale wasn't it?

If it was such a historically important building why didn't someone step in with a higher bid?

260 people aren't that many people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 822 Posts

Even churches are being bought up to turn into Mosques.
    Previous use of land doesn't make a lot of difference to me.
    Muslims can take over the whole of the UK if they like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ha ha what a wind up
    Vote BNP

Major Sinic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Whaaaat? Please tell me you are joking Barry!!! hang on; don't you live in France?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 822 Posts

No, I am not joking, I might care a bit, but the Christians in the UK are a bunch of wimpy, vegetarian, tree hugging, AGW, ecologist, wet excuses for humanity that have given up on anything of any real truth.
    They deserve all they allow.
    I don't live in the UK, I live in that NWO country called Europe, the one they made in Portugal, while everyone was looking the other way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    PLANS to transform Swindonís oldest working menís club into a Muslim place of worship will be decided tonight.

The proposal, to turn the Gorse Hill Working Men's Club into a meeting point for the Al Habib Islamic Educational and Cultural Centre of Swindon was initially submitted last year but was later withdrawn after officers asked for more information.

Last year more than 260 people lodged their objection to the scheme fearing the transformation of the Chapel Street club, which was built in the 1880s, would cause traffic problems and an increase in noise

Sorry but Swindon Working mans club is hardly our "Heritage"
    Whoever bought the building can do as they like with it wether its pole dancing,ping pong. praying to some pedo arab or whatever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Sorry but Swindon Working mans club is hardly our "Heritage"
    Whoever bought the building can do as they like with it wether its pole dancing,ping pong. praying to some pedo arab or whatever.
    Disagree completely. The clubs have been around since the 1800s to provide recreation and entertainment for our working class men. When the conservatives starting ripping the heart out of industrial britain and the subsequent attacks on social clubs and pubs by labour with stealth tax rises on alcohol and a smoking ban meant that workng mens clubs started going in heavy decline. They used to be a fun, cheap and safe refuge for men who wanted to have a pint with other other working class men. Now they are being turned into mosques? pretty disgraceful if you ask me
    Vote BNP

Major Sinic Guest

I do have a certain sympathy with your view. The more extreme aspects of Islam are wholly alien to the culture of Britain, and there is something rather sad about a religion founded in the Middle East taking over what was once an important and widespread institution for the working man. There is of course an irony in what I have just said, in that Christianity is also rooted in the Middle East, and yet despite its steady demise in a now largely secular Britain, forms a massive part of our history and heritage. No one complains though about the number of empty churches and chapels that have been converted into smart trendy homes.

I think that the reality is that our lives and the way we live is continually changing and to try to preserve a way of life that is no longer relevant to the majority is futile. A working man's club that is no longer relevant to the working man, and becomes disused might as well become whatever a buyer and the planners want. You are right though in saying that it is a tangible piece of our heritage, irrespective of whether it is modest or grand, in the public mind or disregarded and forgotten.

Thanks

Disagree completely. The clubs have been around since the 1800s to provide recreation and entertainment for our working class men. When the conservatives starting ripping the heart out of industrial britain and the subsequent attacks on social clubs and pubs by labour with stealth tax rises on alcohol and a smoking ban meant that workng mens clubs started going in heavy decline. They used to be a fun, cheap and safe refuge for men who wanted to have a pint with other other working class men. Now they are being turned into mosques? pretty disgraceful if you ask me
    So your gripe is the demise of the working mans club ? I agree the policies of past governments have contributed to people not wishing to visit them thus making them financialy unviable. The closing down of such clubs and indeed thousands of public houses takes away the focal point of many communities. However would it be OK with you if the buildings were sold off and turned into ,lets say a block of flats,or left empty ? Or is it that the club in question has been sold and turned into a mosque ?
    The closing of our pubs and clubs needs to be addressed with a reversal of some of the policies implemented over the past few years such as over taxation and the smoking ban .Dont blame the Muslims for this one though, they are just buying a building