Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Thumbs down Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Workers have been found sleeping rough in 15 squalid dens in woodland and beauty spots across Peterborough, Cambs, locals say.

    Several groups have created sites with tents, fires and makeshift shacks in nature reserves, parks, and even the middle of busy roundabouts. Previously residents ahve complained of finding them in back gardens and sheds....


    Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps, locals claim - Telegraph

    This the legacy of labours open door immigration policy..... utter disgrace(and it looks like the condems are going to do nothing about closing the flood of migrants from europe either)
    Vote BNP

  2. #2
    crazylilting Guest

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Squatting should simply be made illegal. Imagine an old lady living on her own and finding that someone has decided to live in her garden. You'd think they would be removed but that simply isn't the case at all. If there are no jobs why are they still here? Without an income how do you think they feed themselves? manna? no wonder they resort to crime.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In a pub
    Posts
    7,951
    Thanks
    859
    Thanked 904 Times in 692 Posts

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    The people who use these migrants as cheap labour should be forced to accomadate them .It only needs a few huts and a poterloo for christ sake.
    Those found to be out of work should be deported and thats today not next year.

  4. #4
    suffolklass Guest

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    The people who use these migrants as cheap labour should be forced to accomadate them .It only needs a few huts and a poterloo for christ sake.
    Those found to be out of work should be deported and thats today not next year.
    Brilliant idea however, the French are rounding up and deporting the Romanian gypsies and, guess what? Under current EU law they have the right to return if they so wish, so the money that they have been given as they were deported will have been wasted. This is exactly what would happen to the migrants in Peterborough. We need a change in EU law!

  5. #5
    Midas Guest

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Quote Originally Posted by suffolklass View Post
    Brilliant idea however, the French are rounding up and deporting the Romanian gypsies and, guess what? Under current EU law they have the right to return if they so wish, so the money that they have been given as they were deported will have been wasted. This is exactly what would happen to the migrants in Peterborough. We need a change in EU law!
    Hi Suffolklass, and welcome to the Politics Forum!

    To start with you might like to read the extended "Welcome" message in the Rules and Guidelines section of the forum, which also includes a full version of the Forum Rules.

    Knowing what’s appropriate to say and post and what isn’t can save everyone a great deal of hassle, and as such you might also find the Guide to Good Posting useful. If you’re unfamiliar with the type of forum software we use here, a brief guide to using it can be found here. Please respect other people’s views here; they mightn’t be the same as yours, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re wrong, just that they're different.

    If you need help with anything at all to do with the forum, feel free to contact me, or one of the other moderators, via a personal message; our details can be found here, listed as "Minister" and “Junior Minister”.

    Perhaps you’d care to formally introduce yourself, which you can do here, or optionally tell us a little bit more about yourself here.

    I can't help but agree with you that we need a change in EU law regarding migrants though, either that or the UK government should stand up and say it's not going to acknowledge that particular one!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,413
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Quote Originally Posted by suffolklass View Post
    Brilliant idea however, the French are rounding up and deporting the Romanian gypsies and, guess what? Under current EU law they have the right to return if they so wish, so the money that they have been given as they were deported will have been wasted. This is exactly what would happen to the migrants in Peterborough. We need a change in EU law!
    No what we need a change in is this ridiculous attitude that immigrants are a bad thing. You are no more morally entitled to a job by virtue of being 'British'. it's disgusting that these people who have worked so hard to make a new life for themselves, and in fact have an overwhelmingly positive impact on the UK economy are demonised in this manner.
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek


    Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

  7. #7
    Midas Guest

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMagique View Post
    No what we need a change in is this ridiculous attitude that immigrants are a bad thing. You are no more morally entitled to a job by virtue of being 'British'. it's disgusting that these people who have worked so hard to make a new life for themselves, and in fact have an overwhelmingly positive impact on the UK economy are demonised in this manner.
    A few immigrants can be a good thing as they bring a diversity of cultures and ideas; too many immigrants, which is what we have now, bring only divisiveness and disagreement. British citizens should absolutely have priority in seeking jobs in their own country; immigrants should only be offered them if there is either a shortage of suitable employees, which at the moment is patently not the case, or they have specialist skills not found by British workers within a reasonable time span. Yes, many immigrants have contributed to the British economy, but a significant number of them to the detriment of British workers; you ask any responsible employer who he'd rather take on, and all things being equal the vast majority would say British over immigrant every time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,413
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    A few immigrants can be a good thing as they bring a diversity of cultures and ideas; too many immigrants, which is what we have now, bring only divisiveness and disagreement.
    Who decided what is too much?

    British citizens should absolutely have priority in seeking jobs in their own country; immigrants should only be offered them if there is either a shortage of suitable employees, which at the moment is patently not the case, or they have specialist skills not found by British workers within a reasonable time span.
    I disagree, you are the one who is always harping on about freedom for businesses. Being born here doesn't give you the right to force somebody else to employ you over a foreign worker they prefer, it is their business.

    Assigning people to jobs in that manner would be a bureaucratic minefield, full of inefficiency and basically bad appointments. As an employer you would be forced to take on people bureaucrats deemed to be "reasonable" applicants, it would effectively allow you no choice in your appointment of positions no? Surely these things are best left to businesses themselves to decide upon? It would also severely mess up the labour market, forcing you to accept significantly higher labour costs.

    Yes, many immigrants have contributed to the British economy, but a significant number of them to the detriment of British workers; you ask any responsible employer who he'd rather take on, and all things being equal the vast majority would say British over immigrant every time.
    People said there was too much immigration in the 1970s, and yet since then the state has coped robustly with a massive influx of immigration, most of which has been to the major benefit of the economy. The growth in the UK's service sector, particularly things like private healthcare, but also in many low- or unskilled areas, would not have been anywhere achievable without this large-scale immigration. Studies also suggest they make the labour market more flexible, allowing employees to take on more workers (but I'm sure you will be happy to reject this, without any real argument, simply based on the grounds of your employment history). Unemployment levels were in fact very low prior to the recent down-turn, despite large-scale immigration in that period. Or look at the example of Israel, whose economy (and unemployment situation) flourished as a result of large-scale immigration, both skilled and unskilled.

    I don't care whether so-called responsible employers prefer to be irrationally patriotic in their employment decisions, that doesn't make it 'right'. And that's just it Midas, all things aren't equal, as you've acknowledged yourself in the past. Many unskilled immigrants have undergone severe hardship in getting to their destination country, rather than simply expecting a job in their home country handed to them upon a plate. Who would you expect to work harder?
    So unproductive has conservatism been in producing a general conception of how a social order is maintained that its modern votaries, in trying to construct a theoretical foundation, invariably find themselves appealing almost exclusively to authors who regarded themselves as liberal. - F.A. Hayek


    Economic Left/Right: 4.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

  9. #9
    Midas Guest

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMagique View Post
    Who decided what is too much?
    In general, popular opinion. When a majority of people consider that something is wrong, leading to demands from all quarters for 'something to be done about......', giving rise to parties like the BNP which have immigration at the heart of their policies, it's too much.

    I disagree, you are the one who is always harping on about freedom for businesses. Being born here doesn't give you the right to force somebody else to employ you over a foreign worker they prefer, it is their business.

    Assigning people to jobs in that manner would be a bureaucratic minefield, full of inefficiency and basically bad appointments. As an employer you would be forced to take on people bureaucrats deemed to be "reasonable" applicants, it would effectively allow you no choice in your appointment of positions no? Surely these things are best left to businesses themselves to decide upon? It would also severely mess up the labour market, forcing you to accept significantly higher labour costs.
    Yes, I do think there's far too much bureaucracy in business, but I've also said that what regulation there is should be targeted far more accurately to resolve problems such as too much immigration taking away jobs from British workers. But I would most certainly disagree with you about being born here not conferring more employment rights. Of course being born here should give you additional rights over someone who just happens to want to come and live here, it should be one of the prime considerations of nationality. I agree that ranking employees, or potential employees, in order of nationality would have an initial impact on some businesses, however I completely disagree that it was would "severely" mess up the labour market nor would it give rise to "significantly" higher labour costs. In some industries it would have a small impact, however that on its own is an indication that many immigrant workers are undercutting their equivalent British counterparts. Not only is this wrong, much of the money those immigrants earn goes abroad and out of the British economy. Cue a comment on the free market no doubt, however there's fair competition and there's unfair competition, and as I've already said, from my own personal experience as an employer and from knowledge of the opinions of many other employers, all other things being equal the significant majority would prefer to employ British workers first; I'm not aware of hearing one single person comment on the morality or ethics of this.

    People said there was too much immigration in the 1970s, and yet since then the state has coped robustly with a massive influx of immigration, most of which has been to the major benefit of the economy. The growth in the UK's service sector, particularly things like private healthcare, but also in many low- or unskilled areas, would not have been anywhere achievable without this large-scale immigration. Studies also suggest they make the labour market more flexible, allowing employees to take on more workers (but I'm sure you will be happy to reject this, without any real argument, simply based on the grounds of your employment history). Unemployment levels were in fact very low prior to the recent down-turn, despite large-scale immigration in that period. Or look at the example of Israel, whose economy (and unemployment situation) flourished as a result of large-scale immigration, both skilled and unskilled.
    And look at the divisions in society that it's caused, with immigrant ghettos developing in most major towns and cities and the resultant problems they've caused. You cannot draw a correlation between the growth of the certain sectors of the economy with immigration; yes, sectors such as you describe do indeed have a significant immigrant labour force, however this has been an effect, not a cause, and it's arisen largely because of the unfair wage competition I've already mentioned. I have very little doubt that if 90% of those immigrants were removed from the country, that such service sectors would suffer long term harm; the market would simply readjust itself over a relatively short period of time.

    I don't care whether so-called responsible employers prefer to be irrationally patriotic in their employment decisions, that doesn't make it 'right'. And that's just it Midas, all things aren't equal, as you've acknowledged yourself in the past. Many unskilled immigrants have undergone severe hardship in getting to their destination country, rather than simply expecting a job in their home country handed to them upon a plate. Who would you expect to work harder?
    And the fact that you don't care about patriotism, which is far from irrational, doesn't make it wrong either! As I've already pointed out, I can't recall one single person pointing out any moral or ethical problems with giving preference to employing British workers over immigrant workers. People are certainly not equal in many respects, and I'm not implying that many immigrants are lesser because of that, it's patently not the case as many of them are excellent workers as I know from first hand experience, however nationality should be the prime consideration, and if there was a nationwide poll today, I'm certain you'd get that same answer from a substantial majority of people in the UK.

  10. #10
    Soneone Guest

    Re: Peterborough 'under siege' by migrant camps

    Immigrants aren't a bad thing as long as they work, and make a concerted effort to accimilate themselves into the culture in which they are immigrating to. Pay your own way and give respect to the culture that is giving you the oppertunity to work, and there shouldn't be a problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Who are behind the attacks on IDPs camps in Darfur?
    By sudan in forum Other Countries
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-09-2010, 11:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •