Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Is Labour a party without a purpose?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Is Labour a party without a purpose?

    The Labour leadership contest serves only to highlight a movement bereft of ideas and direction.

    Lord Mandelson was in typically waspish form at the party to launch his memoirs, The Third Man, at the Royal Festival Hall. In a sixth-floor room with striking views across the Thames, his speech to the assembled throng of senior Labour Party and media figures, laced with one-liners, was a model of its kind.

    As former Cabinet ministers such as Lord Falconer mingled with members of Gordon Brown's inner circle, the business secretary-turned-author hinted of more revelations to come. "There's always the paperback version," he smiled, menacingly.

    Notable by their absence, though, were all the contenders in the party's current leadership contest – David Miliband, Ed Miliband, Ed Balls, Andy Burnham and Diane Abbott. And the reason for their no-show? Probably because the publication of The Third Man has once again turned Lord Mandelson into a toxic figure for Labour.

    Even though the book does not contain a single bombshell revelation, its 512 pages reveal the clearest-yet inside account of the vicious in-fighting, feuds and factionalism that soured Labour's 13 years in power. The timing of its publication – in the middle of the leadership contest, and three months before that of Tony Blair's book – has also ensured its author is showered with opprobrium.

    The backlash against the peer has been brutal. Kicked off in last weekend's Sunday Telegraph by Charlie Whelan, Gordon Brown's former aide, who accused Lord Mandelson of running "the worst general election campaign in Labour's history", it was continued by Lord Kinnock, the former party leader, who said the ex-business secretary had become a "caricature of himself".

    The line savoured by Lord Mandelson's many enemies, however, came from David Blunkett. "Peter," the former home secretary declared (borrowing a barb once thrown at Geoffrey Boycott, the Yorkshire cricketer), "fell in love with himself at an early age, and has remained faithful ever since." Mr Blunkett was one of many to point out that vivid reminders of the "internecine mistakes of the past" were hardly the best fare to put before voters as Labour sought to rekindle their trust in the wake of the party's election defeat.

    The full story available from here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/labour/7896599/Is-Labour-a-party-without-a-purpose.html

    Ruinous in government and ineffective in opposition really does sum up the Labour Party……
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Highlands
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 59 Times in 52 Posts

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose?

    I find it funny that the ex governments faces are now condemning Mandy, if he was lying one of them would have taken out an injunction to stop the printing, all it has done is further shown that the new labour government couldn't do the job, we knew that, but this casts further light on the fact that were a bunch of self serving lying, backstabbling dishonest *******s who put party politics and self before their elected representatives. It shows that Brown as we all suspected behaved like a spoiled child, who had the audacity to believe it was his right to be Prime Minister, the Labour party needs to think long and hard about where it needs to be to be a Labour party and needs to learn to behave with respect to voters and the intitution of parliament then they will begin to find their way again
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean their not after me!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    somewhere very rural
    Posts
    1,177
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    14

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    The Labour leadership contest serves only to highlight a movement bereft of ideas and direction.

    Lord Mandelson was in typically waspish form at the party to launch his memoirs, The Third Man, at the Royal Festival Hall. In a sixth-floor room with striking views across the Thames, his speech to the assembled throng of senior Labour Party and media figures, laced with one-liners, was a model of its kind.

    As former Cabinet ministers such as Lord Falconer mingled with members of Gordon Brown's inner circle, the business secretary-turned-author hinted of more revelations to come. "There's always the paperback version," he smiled, menacingly.

    Notable by their absence, though, were all the contenders in the party's current leadership contest – David Miliband, Ed Miliband, Ed Balls, Andy Burnham and Diane Abbott. And the reason for their no-show? Probably because the publication of The Third Man has once again turned Lord Mandelson into a toxic figure for Labour.

    Even though the book does not contain a single bombshell revelation, its 512 pages reveal the clearest-yet inside account of the vicious in-fighting, feuds and factionalism that soured Labour's 13 years in power. The timing of its publication – in the middle of the leadership contest, and three months before that of Tony Blair's book – has also ensured its author is showered with opprobrium.

    The backlash against the peer has been brutal. Kicked off in last weekend's Sunday Telegraph by Charlie Whelan, Gordon Brown's former aide, who accused Lord Mandelson of running "the worst general election campaign in Labour's history", it was continued by Lord Kinnock, the former party leader, who said the ex-business secretary had become a "caricature of himself".

    The line savoured by Lord Mandelson's many enemies, however, came from David Blunkett. "Peter," the former home secretary declared (borrowing a barb once thrown at Geoffrey Boycott, the Yorkshire cricketer), "fell in love with himself at an early age, and has remained faithful ever since." Mr Blunkett was one of many to point out that vivid reminders of the "internecine mistakes of the past" were hardly the best fare to put before voters as Labour sought to rekindle their trust in the wake of the party's election defeat.

    The full story available from here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/labour/7896599/Is-Labour-a-party-without-a-purpose.html

    Ruinous in government and ineffective in opposition really does sum up the Labour Party……
    To be fair this does seem to be part of the on-going pattern, a sheen of the new while the old repeats itself....a long period of government followed by a re-invention with a few false starts, but ultimately the Tories build up the coffers and become misers and then Labour spend it all and then some, but create benefits for all at some point. Both do well and then go too far. Will coalition stop that?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Caesaromagus East Anglia Area UK (Now Under New Management of Euro-Communists of EU-rine Land
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose? -- Yes, Absolutement, Mes Amis!!

    "A Party without a purpose!".... probably at this time, especially when some professional Historians criticise Gordon brown as being one of the worst Prime Ministers since the end of WW2

    A bunch of Academics has come out and said that Gordon Brown was the third worst PM since the end of the Second World War.
    According to a survey of more than one hundred leading academics, reported in the Financial Times (£), only Sir Anthony Eden and Sir Alec Douglas-Home were less impressive.
    The academics, all experts in politics and history,
    The worst PM since the 17th century would be much closer to the truth.
    How many incumbent PM’s have stayed on in Downing Street after conclusively losing a General Election?

    From day 1 Gordon Brown was a dead loss, described by Tony Blair as “mad, bad and dangerous” the question must remain why did Blair handover the country to someone he regarded as unbalanced? hahahahaha!
    Failed Jedi Knight & Eater of Cheese. Mental Loafing a Speciality. Trained Duvet Therapist.
    Retired 'Certa Cito' Operative.

    "Socialisms is like catching political clap. the only solution is a general Election & the Political wire brush & bleach treatment"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose? -- Yes, Absolutement, Mes Amis!!

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleVanya View Post
    "A Party without a purpose!".... probably at this time, especially when some professional Historians criticise Gordon brown as being one of the worst Prime Ministers since the end of WW2

    A bunch of Academics has come out and said that Gordon Brown was the third worst PM since the end of the Second World War.
    According to a survey of more than one hundred leading academics, reported in the Financial Times (£), only Sir Anthony Eden and Sir Alec Douglas-Home were less impressive.
    The academics, all experts in politics and history,
    The worst PM since the 17th century would be much closer to the truth.
    How many incumbent PM’s have stayed on in Downing Street after conclusively losing a General Election?

    From day 1 Gordon Brown was a dead loss, described by Tony Blair as “mad, bad and dangerous” the question must remain why did Blair handover the country to someone he regarded as unbalanced? hahahahaha!
    How right you are!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose?

    my answer: yes

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by uncon View Post
    To be fair this does seem to be part of the on-going pattern, a sheen of the new while the old repeats itself....a long period of government followed by a re-invention with a few false starts, but ultimately the Tories build up the coffers and become misers and then Labour spend it all and then some, but create benefits for all at some point. Both do well and then go too far. Will coalition stop that?
    Of course it will, that is why in the short-term at least we welcome it.
    Jury is still out on PR or AV or whatever we ultimately end up considering!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    5,935
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose?

    Given that the purpose of Labour is now to oppose the current government, then the answer should be no it is not without a purpose. Will it fullfill that purpose is another question, to which I think the answer is a resounding no. British politics has long since lost it's adversarial element. There's little to choose between any of them anymore, which is self evident from the constant sickly syrupy suckng up that goes in the coalition right now.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours ." Steven Roberts

    The likelyhood of you being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

    Barack Hussein Obama, the president that got Bin Laden!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In a pub
    Posts
    7,514
    Thanks
    737
    Thanked 759 Times in 585 Posts

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose?

    The party called Labour is unfit for purpose.With the demise of the industries associated with labour support they find themselves without the traditional following.They, over the years in a vain bid to keep control have moved to become the party of the unemployed,the social spongers.council employees and public sector. In fact anyone that takes a living off the taxpaying ,hard working private sector. Labour and all they now stand for have become the enemy to the man in the street. They must never be allowed to gain power again

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Is Labour a party without a purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    The party called Labour is unfit for purpose.With the demise of the industries associated with labour support they find themselves without the traditional following.They, over the years in a vain bid to keep control have moved to become the party of the unemployed,the social spongers.council employees and public sector. In fact anyone that takes a living off the taxpaying ,hard working private sector. Labour and all they now stand for have become the enemy to the man in the street. They must never be allowed to gain power again
    Trouble is Labour's power has nominally come from the trade unions; they are still lurking in the wings for the opportunity to push 'their' party back into power.

Similar Threads

  1. Labour.A socialist party?
    By srb7677 in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 14-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •