Thread: Opinion poll result on how long the new coalition will last

Thanks

Opinion poll result on how long the new coalition will last

The Conservative Liberal 'Democrat' coalition will fall within a year say 48% of those who were questioned for a Bpix opinion poll for the Mail on Sunday edition of 16.5.2010 with 78% of those who took part in the poll forecasting that the coalition will be over by 2012.

The leaders of both parties in the coalition (David Cameron MP and Nicholas Clegg MP) are both against a retrospective referendum on the EU Constitution Lisbon 'Treaty' despite the fact that before the 2005 General Election the two parties promised one - as did the Labour Party.

More on the new poll at:

Seven out of 10 like the coalition - but think its doomed | Mail Online

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Opinion poll result on how long the new coalition will last

I have never been polled in my long, and sometimes uneventful life.

I have fears that the same three hundred people are constantly being rung and asked for their opinion and have been doing so since they got a telephone.

Some of them are now completely senile and others think they will eventually earn vouchers to spend online at Amazon if they continue.

Thanks

I can welll see Cameron wanting to sabotage the coalition. If Clegg thinks he won't do so if he thinks he can win an election in that eventuality then he's very naive. Cameron and co. will be plotting like mad to get a Tory mandate a.s.a.p and they'd love to out manouvere the liberals.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Cameron will not want to end the coalition - he likes the coalition and will try to keep it for as long as possible. Let's be clear, the coalition let's Cameron keep the more radical right wing members in check. It allows him to "compromise" on issues he doesn't want to deal with, such as Europe.

Nah, I think Cameron will keep it for as long as possible
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

srb7677 Guest

I feel sure that the coalition will go the distance until 2015, more`s the pity.

With the Tories slipping inexorably behind Labour in the opinion polls as the barefaced lies they told to get elected become ever more apparent, and with the likelihood of worsening pain from the cuts, and growing disarray in the NHS, they cannot possibly risk an election now through fear of losing it. And things are likely to get worse before they get better. If they get better.

And having betrayed their own mostly left wing supporters so comprehensively, and suffered the utterly predictable collapse in their support as a result, the Lib Dems cannot possibly risk an election either.

Both are thus forced to stick together for electoral survival, because the likely alternative is defeat and opposition for the Tories and electoral meltdown for the Lib Dems. They thus have little choice but to hang on hoping that an eventual economic improvement will salvage their prospects. They must either hang together or they will surely hang seperately, as the saying goes.

Both have made their bed: now they must lie in it. And for the Lib Dems it is a bed of nails.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srb7677 View Post
    With the Tories slipping inexorably behind Labour in the opinion polls as the barefaced lies they told to get elected become ever more apparent
    You do remember Labour's term in office right? Unlike the Conservatives, they don't have the excuse of being in a coalition. Now, there are several issues that the Conservatives cannot be so... conservative because it is fundamentally different to the liberal democrats - I accept that.

And having betrayed their own mostly left wing supporters so comprehensively, and suffered the utterly predictable collapse in their support as a result, the Lib Dems cannot possibly risk an election either.
    How did they betray them? The Liberal Democrats main focus in electoral reform. Electoral reform equates to coalitions... what did you expect? Did you think that everyone would be so happy with electoral reform that the Liberal Democrats would always be in a government on their own?

Or do you think they should only form a coalition with Labour? hmm undemocratic much.
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

srb7677 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LA View Post
    You do remember Labour's term in office right? Unlike the Conservatives, they don't have the excuse of being in a coalition. Now, there are several issues that the Conservatives cannot be so... conservative because it is fundamentally different to the liberal democrats - I accept that.

How did they betray them? The Liberal Democrats main focus in electoral reform. Electoral reform equates to coalitions... what did you expect? Did you think that everyone would be so happy with electoral reform that the Liberal Democrats would always be in a government on their own?

Or do you think they should only form a coalition with Labour? hmm undemocratic much.
    Firstly, it is not Lib Dems who are, for example, forcing massive NHS reorganisation. It is something the Tories quite obviously wanted and planned to do, they were not forced into it by coalition. They simply lied when they told us otherwise. Likewise, it is not the Lib Dems who are preventing a tough stance on bankers: all the indications have been that the Lib Dems want to be tougher but it is the Tories who are putting their feet down and saying "no". The Tories haven`t been forced by coalition to abandon their pledge to cap bonuses at 2000 in part state-owned banks. It was simply something they promised without any intention of ever delivering because they knew the promise would be popular. A lie, in other words.

And I certainly do not exonerate Labour from the lies it told, most egregiously over the excuses for war in Iraq, and their promise, soon broken, not to introduce student tuition fees. They too are no innocents when it comes to honesty. But the number of blatant lies told in such a short time by the current lot is utterly and cynically breathtaking. In another thread I mentioned 8 massive howlers in as many months. And few if any of them have been forced upon them by their coalition partners.

And as for the Lib Dems betraying their mostly left wing voters, I say that because they did not campaign as a right of centre party, but as a party with policies fundamentally to the left of Labour. That`s why so many ex-Labour left wing voters (including me) voted for them. If they had campaigned on right of centre policies, going on to form a coalition with the Tories would have been fine. But to campaign on the left, garnering the support of millions of leftwingers as a result, and then join an overtly rightwing government, IS a betrayal of it`s own left wing voters.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Firstly, it is not Lib Dems who are, for example, forcing massive NHS reorganisation. It is something the Tories quite obviously wanted and planned to do, they were not forced into it by coalition. They simply lied when they told us otherwise
    In regards to the NHS reorganisation, as far as I know, Number 10 was somewhat surprised by the proposals. These proposals were made in the Department of Health, by the Department of Health before being presented to cabinet colleagues.

. Likewise, it is not the Lib Dems who are preventing a tough stance on bankers
    No, but whoever is preventing a "tough stance" is doing an okay job and I hope they get better at it.
    all the indications have been that the Lib Dems want to be tougher but it is the Tories who are putting their feet down and saying "no".
    Good.

The Tories haven`t been forced by coalition to abandon their pledge to cap bonuses at 2000 in part state-owned banks.
    That was a silly idea.

But the number of blatant lies told in such a short time by the current lot is utterly and cynically breathtaking.
    Labour made enough to last a lifetime.

In another thread I mentioned 8 massive howlers in as many months. And few if any of them have been forced upon them by their coalition partners.
    Care to link please?

And as for the Lib Dems betraying their mostly left wing voters, I say that because they did not campaign as a right of centre party, but as a party with policies fundamentally to the left of Labour. That`s why so many ex-Labour left wing voters (including me) voted for them.
    Again, everyone knew that the Liberal Democrats supported coalitions and everyone knew that the Liberal Democrats would form a coalition with the party with the largest amount of seats and votes - they never ruled out a deal with the Conservatives and quite frankly anyone who feels betrayed by the coalition really do not understand the Liberal Democrat policy at all.

an overtly rightwing government
    Nonsense - this is a centre right government. I would welcome a more overtly right wing government and would take great pleasure in seeing the right wing of the Conservative Party take charge - nothing would please me more.
    ~ Eugene McCarthy

srb7677 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LA View Post
    Care to link please?
    You can easily find it. It is the first post in the thread "A long list of broken promises" started by me in the Conservative Party forum. And I know you`ve already read it because you responded to it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You can easily find it. It is the first post in the thread "A long list of broken promises" started by me in the Conservative Party forum. And I know you`ve already read it because you responded to it.
    I know, I just couldn't be bothered to find it :p
    ~ Eugene McCarthy