Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Germany calling

  1. #1
    wunterundermiejer Guest

    Germany calling

    I am a corresponant for the respected german publication Wunter under Meijer and would dearly like to get some hoenst opinions from the enlgish public on the upcoming elections.

    Our newpaper has always supported the euro zone and so find it hard to reconcile the snetiments of some in your country, though it seems our dear chancellor has now bought greece in its entirity.

    Will you back brown as he has kept you out of the euro or do you feel that qualifiaction for the euro was a basci requirement for his job.

    will you sack craig now he has shown such rudeness to the voters?

    Who do you think the new man in charge will align himself with in the europe of today?

    where do you want to see your country going in 4 years. Will you stil be struggling to complete on the world stage?

    Yours

    Olaf Mungerlicker
    wunter under miejer political commentator

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Germany calling

    Quote Originally Posted by wunterundermiejer View Post
    I am a corresponant for the respected german publication Wunter under Meijer and would dearly like to get some hoenst opinions from the enlgish public on the upcoming elections.

    Our newpaper has always supported the euro zone and so find it hard to reconcile the snetiments of some in your country, though it seems our dear chancellor has now bought greece in its entirity.

    Will you back brown as he has kept you out of the euro or do you feel that qualifiaction for the euro was a basci requirement for his job.

    will you sack craig now he has shown such rudeness to the voters?

    Who do you think the new man in charge will align himself with in the europe of today?

    where do you want to see your country going in 4 years. Will you stil be struggling to complete on the world stage?

    Yours

    Olaf Mungerlicker
    wunter under miejer political commentator
    Hi Olaf, and welcome to the Politics Forum! It's good to see someone else from mainland Europe here.

    To start with you might like to read the extended "Welcome" message in the Rules and Guidelines section of the forum, which also includes a full version of the Forum Rules.

    Knowing what’s appropriate to say and post and what isn’t can save everyone a great deal of hassle, and as such you might also find the Guide to Good Posting useful. If you’re unfamiliar with the type of forum software we use here, a brief guide to using it can be found here. Please respect other people’s views here; they mightn’t be the same as yours, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re wrong, just that they're different.

    If you need help with anything at all to do with the forum, feel free to contact me, or one of the other moderators, via a personal message; our details can be found here, listed as “Junior Minister”.

    Perhaps you’d care to formally introduce yourself, which you can do here, or optionally tell us a little bit more about yourself here.

    Enjoy the debates, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of views and opinions from other members.
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  3. #3
    Citizen Smith Guest

    Re: Germany calling

    Nice to have someone from the birthplace of the great Carl Marx

  4. #4
    DougieG Guest

    Re: Germany calling

    Generally, the feeling is that people won't necessarily refuse to vote Labour simply because of what recently happened with the bigot comment. It's looking more and more likely that there will be a hung parliament, hopefully with the Liberal Democrats in power. I do wonder whether or not a lot of Labour voters will switch to the Lib Dems because of 'Bigotgate'. Cameron remains fairly popular, but is just failing to get the widespread support now that a lot of people are viewing the Liberal Democrats as a sensible voting choice. As to your specific questions:

    I'm personally torn on the Euro issue. I think that it would have many positive and negative impacts on our economy. On the whole, I tend to be more Pro-Europe, but it's not a big voting issue for me - it's not likely to change my choice of vote.

    Depends on who wins as to the Europe stance. I really, really hope that Cameron doesn't win because his attitude to Europe is silly. He essentially wants to remain in the EU but not be very prominent in it. Well that's not his intention but it's what would happen. Clegg is far more Pro-Europe, but he's unlikely to be our next leader. It could be significant if we do change our electoral system to be closer to Germany's, mind you.

    I think we will always have SOME significance in the world, due mainly to history. That significance is slipping away, which is why it is important to get properly committed to Europe and to take a truly leading role in it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Germany calling

    Quote Originally Posted by DougieG View Post
    Generally, the feeling is that people won't necessarily refuse to vote Labour simply because of what recently happened with the bigot comment. It's looking more and more likely that there will be a hung parliament, hopefully with the Liberal Democrats in power. I do wonder whether or not a lot of Labour voters will switch to the Lib Dems because of 'Bigotgate'. Cameron remains fairly popular, but is just failing to get the widespread support now that a lot of people are viewing the Liberal Democrats as a sensible voting choice. As to your specific questions:

    I'm personally torn on the Euro issue. I think that it would have many positive and negative impacts on our economy. On the whole, I tend to be more Pro-Europe, but it's not a big voting issue for me - it's not likely to change my choice of vote.

    Depends on who wins as to the Europe stance. I really, really hope that Cameron doesn't win because his attitude to Europe is silly. He essentially wants to remain in the EU but not be very prominent in it. Well that's not his intention but it's what would happen. Clegg is far more Pro-Europe, but he's unlikely to be our next leader. It could be significant if we do change our electoral system to be closer to Germany's, mind you.

    I think we will always have SOME significance in the world, due mainly to history. That significance is slipping away, which is why it is important to get properly committed to Europe and to take a truly leading role in it.
    This is the perhaps the most sensible thing anyone has written about Europe in a long while. UKIP suffer from a severe FACT deficit as do most Euro skeptics. The arguments against European integration and for isolation really don't stand up to scrutiny neither does the straight banana story (which never actually happened nor was every suggested by anyone in the EU) is interesting how these euro myths become excepted facts.

    The only thing I would disagree with is not seeing the European Union as a big issue. Which it is for many (often misguided) anti-Europeans and it on another level it is vital for future survival of Europe which (by the way) includes Great Britain. As for history being a factor in maintain our influence , this is likely to be short lived look at Austria/ Hungary or Italy (both had huge empires once) and ... where are they now (Ok in the case of Italy they out performing us economically)

    Which leads me to another side point
    Italy
    France
    Germany
    and I think maybe even Spain contribute more to the EU than the Uk does (net) so why ddo people think we get such a bad deal from them?

  6. #6
    DougieG Guest

    Re: Germany calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazzin View Post
    This is the perhaps the most sensible thing anyone has written about Europe in a long while. UKIP suffer from a severe FACT deficit as do most Euro skeptics. The arguments against European integration and for isolation really don't stand up to scrutiny neither does the straight banana story (which never actually happened nor was every suggested by anyone in the EU) is interesting how these euro myths become excepted facts.

    The only thing I would disagree with is not seeing the European Union as a big issue. Which it is for many (often misguided) anti-Europeans and it on another level it is vital for future survival of Europe which (by the way) includes Great Britain. As for history being a factor in maintain our influence , this is likely to be short lived look at Austria/ Hungary or Italy (both had huge empires once) and ... where are they now (Ok in the case of Italy they out performing us economically)

    Which leads me to another side point
    Italy
    France
    Germany
    and I think maybe even Spain contribute more to the EU than the Uk does (net) so why ddo people think we get such a bad deal from them?
    When I describe the Euro as not a big issue to me, I meant the currency rather than the continent I certainly agree with this post.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Germany calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazzin View Post
    This is the perhaps the most sensible thing anyone has written about Europe in a long while. UKIP suffer from a severe FACT deficit as do most Euro skeptics. The arguments against European integration and for isolation really don't stand up to scrutiny neither does the straight banana story (which never actually happened nor was every suggested by anyone in the EU) is interesting how these euro myths become excepted facts.

    The only thing I would disagree with is not seeing the European Union as a big issue. Which it is for many (often misguided) anti-Europeans and it on another level it is vital for future survival of Europe which (by the way) includes Great Britain. As for history being a factor in maintain our influence , this is likely to be short lived look at Austria/ Hungary or Italy (both had huge empires once) and ... where are they now (Ok in the case of Italy they out performing us economically)

    Which leads me to another side point
    Italy
    France
    Germany
    and I think maybe even Spain contribute more to the EU than the Uk does (net) so why ddo people think we get such a bad deal from them?
    My grammar is awful I've become so slack 'excepted' wtf!!! Please excuse this post I cannot be bothered to amend it but ya get the idea! Anyway, cheers doug for reading my drivel

  8. #8
    Armand Nuttsacher Guest

    Re: Germany calling

    The British elections are very confusing in how they are organised. They don't make easy following for overseas people.

    How is it that Labour are third in yesno poles yet, look set to take the most chairs? How much does appearance alter mens vote?

  9. #9
    Heinrich Lippschitz Guest

    Re: Germany calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Armand Nuttsacher View Post
    The British elections are very confusing in how they are organised. They don't make easy following for overseas people.

    How is it that Labour are third in yesno poles yet, look set to take the most chairs? How much does appearance alter mens vote?
    I am also off the idea that Herr Cameron is not knowing his history.

    Frau Thatcher said ther is no such thing as a Society. Herr Cameron says it is a Big Society. Who is in the right place of knowing these things?

  10. #10
    DougieG Guest

    Re: Germany calling

    Quote Originally Posted by Armand Nuttsacher View Post
    The British elections are very confusing in how they are organised. They don't make easy following for overseas people.

    How is it that Labour are third in yesno poles yet, look set to take the most chairs? How much does appearance alter mens vote?
    Yes, that's true. Our entire political system is a mess, and believe me most British people don't understand it. It would take thousands of words to explain properly...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •