Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible is relevant for today's world.

Ian The Poet Guest

Cool The Bible is relevant for today's world.

I know there are several people on this forum who do not believe in God or the Bible, however I feel they are missing something. I know people say that the bible contradicts itself and that the Old Testament is not relevant to the New Testament. In fact the Old Testament is the build up to the New Testament. Another thing that is said that it is not relevant to today's world; it most certainly is relevant. In a world where people are looking for something, the answer is in the Bible, however people are too proud to see it for theirselves.
    You are probably wondering where I am going; well watch the following.

YouTube - ALPHA Course Pioneer Nicky Gumbel

YouTube - Alpha course

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 823 Posts

Re: The Bible is relevant for today's world.

Obviously, I would not disagree with your post, Ian.
    I have helped run an Alpha Course and find it very useful for people who are searching for answers about Christianity.
    It also provokes thought amongst the Christians taking part.

Midas Guest

This is probably not going to come as any surprise, but as far as I'm concerned the bible is totally irrelevant for today's world. If anything it's the one work of literature which has been responsible for more deaths and suffering over the last 2,000 years than anything else.

The bible is nothing more than a collection of unattributed myths and allegorical tales, written over a period of close on 1,000 years, which were appropriate to the social and psychological development of people at the time it was written. These various tales have only come to be regarded as 'the bible' because the Roman Emperor Constantine decreed at the Council of Nicea that certain writings, ancient even then, should be regarded as 'true' whilst others should be regarded as untrue - i.e., they didn't portray the image he wanted the early Christian church to have, for reasons all revolving around power and control within the Roman empire.

OK, there are certain moral tales in the bible which form the foundation for a fair society, but these would have developed regardless of their source, as indeed they have in non-Christian cultures, but taken as a whole, how anyone can believe that such stories about the ontological construct known as a god can have any relevance in today's world is beyond me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah sorry but no. All I see in the bible is alagorical stories that are a product of their time and have been subject to tinkering through history, as Midas described.
    Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
    E. B. White

"
    To be honest, you think a/c jump the fence, I say the whole college jump the fence"
    The wonder that is Angelcountry
    "If we're going to have a police state, at least orgainise it properly!"
    Guy Outside the Chilcott Enquiry as he was led away by police for causing a 'disturbance' (thanks to LA I now know his name is Michael Culver)

Major Sinic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Obviously, I would not disagree with your post, Ian.
    I have helped run an Alpha Course and find it very useful for people who are searching for answers about Christianity.
    It also provokes thought amongst the Christians taking part.
    Interesting that you helped run an Alpha course. I attended a course at its original home - Holy Trinity, Brompton Road, at the behest of a long standing and very dear friend, who had earlier been on a course and as a result became a Christian. She helped at a couple more, and ended up leading several.

I found the course challenging, searching, at times emotionally painful but overall encouraging. I was unable to embrace the Christian faith as you have done, and on occasion have regretted that fact. Nevertheless my experience showed me that most who were able to accept the gift of faith, did for the most part become happier and more understanding people. I do suspect that this applies to other religions also. It is unfortunately religious extremism which damages both the reputation of those with 'mainstream' religious views, and society as a whole. If nothing else it has taught me not to condemn or mock someone because of religious beliefs which I am unable to share.

Ian The Poet Guest

I am going to an Alpha course which is being run by a Roman Catholic and C of E Church who are neighbours, Christianity is always a challenge and there are many questions, however we try to work together to do good. I know the Church has not had a very good press, yet the local churches got together to feed the homeless and alone over the Christmas and New Year Period. And during the summer they have a free barbeque for the local community also run by the local churches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    This is probably not going to come as any surprise, but as far as I'm concerned the bible is totally irrelevant for today's world. If anything it's the one work of literature which has been responsible for more deaths and suffering over the last 2,000 years than anything else.

The bible is nothing more than a collection of unattributed myths and allegorical tales, written over a period of close on 1,000 years, which were appropriate to the social and psychological development of people at the time it was written. These various tales have only come to be regarded as 'the bible' because the Roman Emperor Constantine decreed at the Council of Nicea that certain writings, ancient even then, should be regarded as 'true' whilst others should be regarded as untrue - i.e., they didn't portray the image he wanted the early Christian church to have, for reasons all revolving around power and control within the Roman empire.

OK, there are certain moral tales in the bible which form the foundation for a fair society, but these would have developed regardless of their source, as indeed they have in non-Christian cultures, but taken as a whole, how anyone can believe that such stories about the ontological construct known as a god can have any relevance in today's world is beyond me.
    I could not have given a better reply

Midas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian The Poet View Post
    ...... Christianity is always a challenge and there are many questions ......
    Indeed, like questioning the very precept on which it's based, something that in my experience a very small number of Christians do, perhaps because of the fear of what they'll find; that their belief is based on nothing.

Ian The Poet Guest

Exactly that is why the Bible is for today for the answers are there for all to read, however you need to pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you.

Midas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian The Poet View Post
    Exactly that is why the Bible is for today for the answers are there for all to read, however you need to pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you.
    With all due respect Ian, you initially made the statement that the bible was relevant for today's world, yet you've made no attempt to justify why a 1,700 year old compliation of specially selected ancient documents, selected out of many hundreds for a very specific political and military reason I should add, should be relevant; all you've done is make a personal statement based only on unsupported opinion. As you must be aware yourself, there's absolutely zero factual evidence to support any of the claims made in the bible, yet you, and hundreds of millions of others, take what was written for granted without once questioning the basis for it all.

I for one would love to know how you can justifiably say "it's relevant" without at least attempting to produce a cogent, factually based, argument to try to support your case. It's not an unreasonable question to ask is it?