Thread: The french say "non" to internet explorer

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The french say "non" to internet explorer

BBC News - France joins Germany warning against Internet Explorer

From the story, Mr Evans is Head of Security and Privacy at Microsfort:

But Mr Evans said that calls to change browsers were "not very helpful".
    "If you look at other browsers, it's likely they will have other vulnerabilities," he said

The firm traditionally releases a security update once a month - the next scheduled patch will be ready on 9 February.
    Maybe its just a natural distrust of masive companies, but the scale and access that Microsoft have makes me want to use as little of their software as possible. That creates problems though, but free versions of office based applications and web browsers are available, and I guess you can only go off personal experience, but I wonder why a monthly update of IE is needed when I know of no-one using an alternative browser who has had security problems.

The French obviously think they are protecting their citizens with this advice, where is our government's stance?

UK Government will not warn against Internet Explorer - Telegraph

It appears there won't be one. They do however, want you to go here Get Safe Online :: Home

Go on, do that 'how safe are you' quiz and try not to be offended by its simplicity. Detailed advice from 2 of our fellow European nations, a flash presentation from ours. Who do you trust?
    Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
    E. B. White

"
    To be honest, you think a/c jump the fence, I say the whole college jump the fence"
    The wonder that is Angelcountry
    "If we're going to have a police state, at least orgainise it properly!"
    Guy Outside the Chilcott Enquiry as he was led away by police for causing a 'disturbance' (thanks to LA I now know his name is Michael Culver)

Thanks

Re: The french say "non" to internet explorer

Yes, way to go! 10/10.
    Save us all 22,000,000 a day. Leave the EU.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DTE View Post
    ...but I wonder why a monthly update of IE is needed when I know of no-one using an alternative browser who has had security problems.
    Microsoft being the big boy on the block is continually targeted by those of a malicious bent and the tech ability to exercise it. This is no big secret. If, for instance, Apple's and MS's positions in the world were reversed you can bet Safari would require constant security updates. This is why I, mostly, use Fire Fox, not because I have a mistrust of Microsoft or attribute sinister intentions to Microsoft, it's pure convenience of not being bothered continually by those who have nothing better to do than complicate our lives for pure ego gratification or illicit economic gain.

• �For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.�

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, way to go! 10/10.
    how fabulous is it!

I'm with you...in fact get everyone here...the world....it aint so big these days, but it is incredible

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In the last 100 years, you learned how to talk to eachother, then you learned how to tell eachother the most mundane things You watched a queen get crowned and you wanted to watch a thick bird die in paris and another one die of cancer (don't pretend you cared) It did me no good

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Microsoft being the big boy on the block is continually targeted by those of a malicious bent and the tech ability to exercise it. This is no big secret. If, for instance, Apple's and MS's positions in the world were reversed you can bet Safari would require constant security updates. This is why I, mostly, use Fire Fox, not because I have a mistrust of Microsoft or attribute sinister intentions to Microsoft, it's pure convenience of not being bothered continually by those who have nothing better to do than complicate our lives for pure ego gratification or illicit economic gain.
    It is strange, if this is the case how Linux manages to stay comparatively secure given that it dominates the business server market.
    Plebs against cuts
    @MarxistNutter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Nutter View Post
    It is strange, if this is the case how Linux manages to stay comparatively secure given that it dominates the business server market.
    Because the software from Linux works.
    I saw an angel in the marble and I carved until I set him free.
    ~Michelangelo

Thanks

All fine in principle until you have to update your times sheets or view your bloody payslip in SAP......

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Nutter View Post
    OK if I have read the dates right on the opening posts this is a VERY old thread ...

The prefaces of many of the "Beginners Guide to Programming whatever in dot net" books all seem to tell a very similar tale, of a Miocrosoft that almost drove itself out of business by its own blinkered stupidity. In tyhe early days of MICROSOFT's internet there was MSN 1.0, a Compuserve style portal where Microsoft made content available to you at a price and you meekly swallowed it. The books that discuss programming in any of the dot NET languages today take you back to look at those times, and ask what might have happenned if Sun Microsystems, then working on something called Star*Office, had a chat with DELL who were by then renoened for piling them high and selling them cheap, and called a bloke called Linus Torvalds. It MIGHT have been the end for Bill and his empire, and all the books I speak of pursue the same line, that Bill deserves to be credited for having the business nose to see disaster on the horizon and the clout to turn his behemoth on a sixpence, and the Dot Net framework is how they wil never again be threatened in this way.

well maybe.

However, the fact is that linux is successful as a business server because it grew from Unix which was THE server operating system of academia and industry in the days when crowther and woods put you in a maze of twisty little passages all alike and the troll on the bridge deftly caught your axe, admired the workmanship and threw it back - straight into your chest.

Windows 3.1 and its "business" counterpart Windows For Workgroups 3.11 had no TCP/IP stack, I know because I had to endure installing Trumpet Winsock to get one. Windows for Workgroups used windows proprietary protocols, plus a few other proprietary protocols of other equally closed minded vendors.

In stark contrast I WROTE the linux ethernet kernel module for a parallel port ethernet driver for one of the Release 1.0 kernels and I had linux up and running X Windows on a 2MB Ram 500Mb hard drive 386-SX and it compiled Athena Widgets I think they were for an X application in half the time Borland C did the same sort of job in windows.

The reason for linux's security is threefold

1. The server market it supplies is still largely staffed by Information Technology Professionals who know (for the most part) what they are doing when t comes to keeping things secure, detecting issues and getting things fixed if the worst happens. And the "free software foundation" principles on which it is based encourage people to get stuck in and thrash new releases, and fix the bugs in them, not for the money (there is none) but for the respect and the glory. In stark contrast Bill Gates uses his paying customers as alpha and beta testers.

2. The maturity of the client software often outstripped Microsoft's offerings simply because they had been around for so long.

3. With so many people buying a windows PC to use at home because linux was not easy to configure (and if you think this has changed much then you have not tried to make an Arch Linux system on an Elonex Web Book talk to the broadband stick ...) windows was the natural target for the virus payloader and mail spammer.