Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Challenge To The BBC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Challenge To The BBC

    After the fracas over Question time a video has come out challenging Auntie to give Griffin an opportunity to go on Hardtalk. What do you guys think? Should he continue to be silenced or should he get another go to speak. And how should the media deal with him generally? Hysteria or old school journalism?
    This is the video I found:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSHFMFhLLA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pixels on your screen
    Posts
    6,687
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 950 Times in 699 Posts
    Why are you spamming the forum with this video?
    Is it really so important to you?
    That's the 4th time you have posted it.
    Save us all 22,000,000 a day. Leave the EU.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Yorkshire Coast
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The BNP have quite a following. And as such, many TV viewers would like to see the them. For better or worse. For the BNP haters, they should be only too pleased to see Mr Griffin get hammered. For the followers, they will be only to happy for their voice to be heard.
    So really, what is the problem?
    Ah yes, Britains clowns, the UAF will be there. Disturbing the peace. And attempting to stop people having a right to listen.

    Quality entertainment however you look at it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I agree, there really should be more publicity offered to minor parties, particularly those that are viewed as extremist. Shutting out the BNP and treating them as a non-Party simply because of their views (which is what the UAF seems to want) is very dangerous for a Democracy, and only serves to fuel resentment not only from the BNP themselves, but many members of the public who perhaps support some of the BNP's policies.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFGS3 View Post
    I agree, there really should be more publicity offered to minor parties, particularly those that are viewed as extremist. Shutting out the BNP and treating them as a non-Party simply because of their views (which is what the UAF seems to want) is very dangerous for a Democracy, and only serves to fuel resentment not only from the BNP themselves, but many members of the public who perhaps support some of the BNP's policies.
    Hmm, part of me agrees with you that as long as they are legal, all political parties should be offered equal rights to having publicity whatever we as individuals might think of their policies, however that's different to saying publicity should be offered to them, although I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this - should the BBC give all political parties equal air time or should it be offered in proportion to their membership, and should it all be prime time or should the lesser parties accept that some publicity at unpopular hours, at the licence-payer's expense, is better than none at all?
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    Hmm, part of me agrees with you that as long as they are legal, all political parties should be offered equal rights to having publicity whatever we as individuals might think of their policies, however that's different to saying publicity should be offered to them, although I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this - should the BBC give all political parties equal air time or should it be offered in proportion to their membership, and should it all be prime time or should the lesser parties accept that some publicity at unpopular hours, at the licence-payer's expense, is better than none at all?
    Well there was a quite serious discussion about whether or not the BNP should appear on question time, yet other political parties were allowed on. My assumption is that if one program has a political party on, then that same program should offer that same spot to other parties. Of course we're talking about Public Broadcasters, the commercial ones can do what they want. I believe that all parties should get equal air time, irrelevent of membership numbers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFGS3 View Post
    Well there was a quite serious discussion about whether or not the BNP should appear on question time, yet other political parties were allowed on. My assumption is that if one program has a political party on, then that same program should offer that same spot to other parties. Of course we're talking about Public Broadcasters, the commercial ones can do what they want. I believe that all parties should get equal air time, irrelevent of membership numbers.
    The trouble is that's not really feasible. If you have a look at List of political parties in the United Kingdom you'll see how many parties there are here, including the minor ones; there must be at least 100.
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    The trouble is that's not really feasible. If you have a look at List of political parties in the United Kingdom you'll see how many parties there are here, including the minor ones; there must be at least 100.
    Is there a quota of the vote they get where the electoral office will reimburse campaign spending? There is in Australia, and the same quota could be used to determine whether or not they get to appear on national stations.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rural South Midlands
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFGS3 View Post
    Is there a quota of the vote they get where the electoral office will reimburse campaign spending? There is in Australia, and the same quota could be used to determine whether or not they get to appear on national stations.
    I couldn't tell you that off the top of my head, but I'm sure there'll be someone here later who can! Anyone?
    Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant only an intellectual could ignore it - Thomas Sowell

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    At least in the case of the BNP and UKIP, the BBC certainly can't deny either of them air time on political programs, and there would be something wrong if we only saw Conservatives and Labour on there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •